Pictures from December SAS Battle

Discussion in 'Southeast Attack Squadron' started by bkoehler, Dec 20, 2018.

1. bkoehler

bkoehler Active Member

Hi All,

Although a brief cold-snap came in with the rain, at least we were still able to battle in December! Woo Hoo! We had a small one-day battle with one brand new captain, three new ships, and one veteran ship (little CL HMS Ajax). We posted photos and video from the battle in the SAS photo album:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TUmyHNx8VXj63wD1A

I think my new favorite photo of the four of us might be this one:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/8f5gDu3FfY6Z9w8s9
    (thanks for adding that one, Eric)

BrianK

2. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Do I see an old Bart Purvis hull in action?!

3. bkoehler

bkoehler Active Member

Yes!
    Even though the ship is a model of the HMS Ajax, you cannot see it in the photos but I put the name "BART" across the stern during her recent re-fit upgrade!
    -- As far as I know she is the last surviving of the three Leander-class light cruisers Bart made with the superglue-fiberglass (which is a bit weak for the current hobby). Last winter I gutted her insides COMPLETELY, sanded, and added a layer of proper epoxy-fiberglass. I made up the weight by switching to Lithium batteries, the all-in-one BC card, and the aluminium cannon quads ;-)

The superstructure is still 1/32" balsa same as the hull (saves weight and lets the bb's go right though, but boy the SAS guys this season got the structure blasted a lot - I have a fair amount to rebuild up top)

BrianK

4. bkoehler

bkoehler Active Member

Another ship you (Lou) may recognize: Tim Krakowski's USS Augusta (now back in service under the command of our newest SAS captain, Jonathan Wu). He did great with it his first time out (next time he can get down here for a build session we are going to move his spring-loaded stick to the throttle side, and install push buttons for firing).

The other two matching ships were Eric and Carl's absolutely gorgeous pre-dreads (getting their maiden battles that day as well). I hope you get to make a battle this coming season which they bring these ships back out - so beautiful you honestly feel guilty shooting at it (well, almost.. lol)

BrianK

Kevin P. likes this.