Planning for a future ship.

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by U.S.S. Arazona, May 2, 2013.

1. U.S.S. Arazona

U.S.S. Arazona Active Member

This is probably pretty earlyto post this, but I'll be busy alot over the summer, so I might as well go ahead and get your all's oppinion on a ship. For this year, I'm going to finsh and battle the U.S.S. Cleveland. However, once the season's over, I'm going to start work on another ship and hopefully get it ready for next year. The one's I'm interested in building are the U.S.S. Iowa, IJN Yamato, DKM Bismark, and DKM Scharnhorst. Which one would you all think would do the best in treaty? Right now I'm leaning toward the Yamato because of it's ability to take a lot of damage and still stay afloat, although the other part of my brain is to go with the Iowa because of her speed. Although the Scharnhorst has the same speed but turns alot better....... And this is why I need some help, otherwise I'll robably build hulls for all of them and never get done. Hmm... Who does that remind me of...?

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

How much money are you looking to spend?

3. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Could be a couple of people. :whistling:

4. U.S.S. Arazona

A little over a thousand at the most. I'm hoping that I can make some of the equipment, such as cannons, and save some money there, maybe get it for around $700~$800 or so. I could allways split cannons and allot more units to pumps and switch over as I get more money and get used to how it battles.

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

More units to pumps = generally bad idea. If you can't get it done on one pump, a second pump will add maybe a minute to your floating time, and you'll do a LOT of patching. And you'll probably be out of ammo for that one extra minute :)

For a thousand, you could probably build any of those on a bare-bones approach.

6. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

We currently have an Iowa under construction. We have a couple Bismarcks, and at least one Scharnhorst.
    We do not have a Yamato in service yet.
    They are all really great ships. But for different reasons.
    Yamato would be able to take lots of damage. But it would need to, as it is a little slower than the others.
    Bismarck has a lot of staying powed, and is quite fast and handy.
    Iowa and Scharnhorst are the fastest, and both will turn well.
    Iowa is quite large, and has lots of units.
    Scharhorst is the smallest, but might also be your better choice.
    You could put a trio of 75 round cannons in it and a full unit battleship pump, and be done.
    Nice and simple. But still a deadly ship.
    But to each their own.
    I try to support folks building the ship that they like the most.
    But that is just me..
    Mikey

7. U.S.S. Arazona

I'd like to try and build a ship that isn't in service to add some variety. In light of that, and in the spirit of making things more difficult for me to decide, I found two other ships, the O-Class BC, and the G3 Battle Cruiser. I believe strike carries plans for the G3, and I'm going to borrow plans for the O-Class from Dustin. I do have a question about the G3 though, which is why is it called a Battle Cruiser when it has 16" guns and 12" armor? Is it because Britain called it a Battle Cruiser?

8. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Exactly, the Royal Navy called all capital ships over a certain speed "Battlecruisers". The KGV class was called a "fully armored battlecruiser" in its earliest drafts.

9. froggyfrenchman

This was discussed in the past.
    The British had a really bad habbit of classifying all fast capitalships battlecruisers.
    It seems that the term fast-battleship may not have been coined yet at that time.
    Mikey

10. U.S.S. Arazona

How well do you all think the O-class would turn, three shafts and three rudders with I believe a 25 second speed?

11. froggyfrenchman

It would certainly be a great turner.
    It would also look great out there with the Russian battlecruiser, and an Alaska or two.
    Especially if the Scharnhorst is there.
    To be honest. I am almost shocked that we have not seen an O-class already.
    It would be a great ship. And great looking too.
    Mikey

12. U.S.S. Arazona

Well, I thing that nails it, I'll go with the O-class. I'll try and get the plans next time I'm up in Ohio, and get ready to build one for next year.

13. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Three rudders???

14. U.S.S. Arazona

I don't have my computer with picasa on it right now, but there's an earlier post in the plans section with an out of scale set of plans.

15. U.S.S. Arazona

Would it be worthwhile to build a ship for Battlestations? If it is, I may end up building one of those over the winter and work on the O-class over the summer.