Please help the noob!

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by silverwing, Jul 10, 2011.

1. silverwing

silverwing Member

Hello I am relatively new to making rc boat, I have one in progress, one in concept, and one going through paint. I have recently become addicted to love! No not love, combat rc boats. More manly. Anyways, I'm getting off-topic. I'm 13 and I have a decent workshop. You can see my workshop in a few videos on my channel right here http://www.youtube.com/user/oppisiteofafredfan and get a few glimpses at my Mach 15 boat I'm working on ( going through paint). I want to get a boat up and running( doesn't have to have weapons) for under $400. I have been reading around and seen that this will be a difficult task, and I only want help from veterans that have proof they know what they're talking about. I know I sound ridiculous, but I'm quite picky. I don't want any technical things like "She has a great 1/8 inch thick hull andd 1.9274 inch thick support beams." That will just scare me and have me go hide in a corner and never touch an rc boat again. So please keep it cool, keep it simple, and keep it cheap.
    :laugh:

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Damn, I have no proof.

3. silverwing

silverwing Member

Doesn't matter. You listed yourself as a veteran. Please help?

4. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Haha...really that's the criteria for being a veteran? Actually tug is a pretty good person to help you out.

Anyway first two questions:

What rule set are you planning on building for?

Do you have any ship/national preference on what you want your first boat to be?

And dont worry we'll get technical later....(it is a technical hobby afterall)

5. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Tug post that link for the budget wooden ship. He perhaps could do that one.

6. Tugboat

7. Tugboat

Oh, ignore the first couple of pages where we talk about a ship called Pommern. I decided to go with a cruiser because it was cheaper :)

8. silverwing

silverwing Member

OMG that's complicated! Would it be easier to buy a kit? I really don't know what I'm doing so do kits have all the parts precut and stuff? I know I would have to modify them to make them RCNB (RC Naval COmbat) legal. One more question, I forgot what the difference between big and small gun classes. What is easier? What is cheaper? What is best for a beginner? I want to knowz diz!

9. silverwing

silverwing Member

I've been looking at Strike FOrce Models, and I kind of like the USS Brooklyn, they say it is the easiest ship to build that they have? http://www.strikemodels.com/products/ships/uss-brooklyn/, and then I just need these things, however I can find them
    Recommended Accessories
    Hardware: HDW-CA-G
    Cannon System: BBSYST-2B or BBSYST-2D
    CO2 Supply: BOTTLE-3.5
    CO2 Regulator: REGULATR-140
    Bilge Pump: PUMP-S1-6
    Radio System: 4 channel minimum, 5 or 6 preferred
    Battery Supply: (2) 6 volt, 4-5 amp hr. Gel Cell (one used each sortie)

10. silverwing

silverwing Member

I know I seem to be spamming but I have a lot of ideas. IS an aircraft carrier and idea that no one's used? I was thinking you could build it to big gun rules and have small suicide bomber planes or something.... maybe the size of a water bottle with fast guns on them that fly around and can fire from above, or would that violate safety precautions? Another idea is rc boat demoliton derby. YOu can make your boats no longer than 10 feet, and they can't explode, those are the only rules. You can shoot bottle rockets at the other ship if they come from your ship, not you. YOu can make ramming spec ships that are speed monster made of lightweight aluminum with a steel spike or three in the front. YOu could have a boat with firecrackers that sabotages the other boats by dropping firecrackers on them. You could have flamethrowers, yes I said it, flamethrowers! This would be a fun sport =)

11. silverwing

silverwing Member

Smaller versions of this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-qQd6TSq6Q&feature=related

12. Tugboat

In fast gun, no weapons allowed but BBs. In Big Gun, nothing but 1/4" and smaller ball bearings.

Any ship in the hobby is going to be relatively complex compared to most other RC hobbies, the only thing on the same level would be the 1/6 RC paintball tanks. Which are very spendy...

13. silverwing

silverwing Member

and what about my earlier post about the strike force models boat? good deal? good boat> yes? no? maybe?

14. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

If you're interested in what others have had to say about Strike Models in general (though not the Brooklyn in particular), you can look here for the product review and build threads tagged with Strike Models. They're good to review in general, to give you an idea of what's involved after you get a hull or hull and kit. http://rcnavalcombat.com/Forum/tabid/58/afv/search/Default.aspx?aftg=Strike+Models

I'm the president of Strike, so a little biased, but do believe we have a fine product. As with anything, you're going to have the time/money/skill tradeoff. Buying a fiberglass ship and kit from us will help you get a ship ready faster than building it yourself, and you shouldn't need as much equipment as you would if you were building it from scratch like in Tugboat's series. However, there is still a fair amount of work involved, and the cost is a lot more than if you were to do it yourself.

We do sell the accessory parts listed, I just haven't hyperlinked everything to its proper page.

Knowing where you live will help us help you figure out which ruleset to build to. In any case, we're almost all at 1:144 scale, so be sure to run that through your calculator when looking at things like airplanes (hint: they work out to being just a couple of inches of wingspan). Taking a look at YouTube videos, such as the ones linked from our home page, will give you an idea of what the combat is like.

Happy to have you on board!

15. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

About the Brooklyn:

Is it a good starter boat?
    That depends. Assuming you are going to do fast gun. For the MWC rules yes it is a good starter boat (It was my rookie boat way back when served me rather well for ~4 years till I graduated and got a job and could afford another boat). For IRCWCC rules no it isnt a good starter boat. So again which rule set are you going to use, really the question is where do you live, since that determines who is nearby to play with and it's easiest to build a boat to whatever ruleset you have people to battleagainst with.

Is it a good deal to buy the kit from Strike? (or battlers connection since they have similar offerings)
    Again it depends. Do you have any active battlers nearby that are willing to help, if so they can help you build things better and cheaper than you can buy, however if you dont then yes buying is easier than building your own systems for your first ship. Also a lot of guys that have been in the hobby for a while have old parts that they would probably sell you on the cheap(or free), sure they arent the latest and greatest but something is better than nothing.

Honestly as much as we can help you online if you can get in touch with some local guys that would be much more useful for you. We can help you with that. There is a fairly large MWC group in GA, Tugboat being one of them. Highly suggest checking out the MWCI site and contacting one of the GA guys listed as local contacts.

Also since you're rather young it would be a lot easier for you if you could get a parent,uncle, grand father whoever involved too since you'll need a car to get to these events. (also if you can get them to help pay for some stuff (birthdays, extra chores, whatever) that never hurts)

16. silverwing

silverwing Member

I live in Cumming, GA on Lake Lanier ( although I wouldn't battle in it, wayyyy too deep... can get to 200 feet out in the open way away from shore. There are just about no rc battle clubs near me, I think the closest is near Savannah. Tugboat, if you're still reading this, I would like you to tell me where you live and maybe an email or something, some way to contact you.

17. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure there are a couple MWC guys in the Atlanta area, plus a few further away near Savannah and Statesboro. If Tugboat hasn't hooked up with you yet, let me know through the web site private messages.

Since it is summer vacation, perhaps you may be able to take a trip up to Oakboro, NC sometime during the IRCWCC National event. it is a week long battling event starting on July 18th and running through to the morning of the 22nd. You'll be able to see a wide array of ships and how they are constructed, not to mention daily ship battles all week long. Believe me, it is worth going to a ship battle before starting a ship! :)

18. Tugboat

We have a Statesboro, GA build session on the 24th of July, and a small battle on 30 July or 01 August. A little Shakedown battle for my Baden and Stefan's refitted I-boat, with Brian K's Empress of India (Iron Duke class) and Christopher K's Bayern as the theoretically reliable veteran ships.

19. silverwing

silverwing Member

Statesboro is too far man =( I wish I could make it/ go, but I'm 13 and as previous people have said, I need a ride. I would be able to go if it were local ( Around Cumming), but it isn't, so I can't. Sorry.

20. silverwing

silverwing Member

Well guys.... we're back to square one. Should I get a kit, if so, which one, should I build something myself, if so, what plans and parts, or should I buy someone's used, pre-made boat?