Pneumatics question

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by The fuzzy one, Apr 27, 2007.

1. The fuzzy one

The fuzzy one Member

Hey all,

I just got a bunch of pneumatics out of one of the veteran boats in our club. Looking at the set up almost made me want to cry...so twisted and convoluted. I decided to pull it all apart and try to untangle it. As far as I know, everyone in NABS (small gun) uses actuators to fire their duals triples, so I'm curious if I can get away without them. The only problem I could see is maybe not having enough gas pressure? Check out my proposed setup http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/FileManager/Storage/633133034738684819.png the blue is the main line, coming from the regulator, with a valve to check pressure somewhere in between, then I have a y branch on top of each poppet, so when it opens, the gas flows thuough the small low pressure lines and fires both guns at once (I have 3 duals to fire) Think this will work?

The very fuzzy one

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

¡Ay carajo! No, dude, just no :) One MAV-2 is not enough gas flow to fire two guns. Whichever gun fires first will get the lion's share of the CO2, and the other one from the same valve will be sucking wind (not firing, most likely). The actuators aren't that expensive... If I thought it'd work at all, I'd say so, but I'm pretty sure it would be a disappointment.

Better to run 3 MAV-3's, each feeding 2 PAV-2's, each fed off it's own accumulator with a check valve on the inlet to the accumulator. One guy in Region 3 who runs on a literal shoestring budget uses long hoses as accumulators and does ok. Not as well as someone using proper ones, but he still punches holes in balsa.

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I'm kinda curious if you could use a MJV-2 with three ports out. MJV-2 valves flow far more gas than a MAV-2, and might be enough to fire everything. There's a guy in the WWCC who fully armed a Mogami, which included four fast-gun-style cannons directly off the stern. I'm not sure how he fires everything, but it certainly isn't the usual fast-gun way.

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I'd think that even with the higher gas flow, one could still run into one strong gun/one weak gun problems. OTOH, if he's got it armed this way and it works... who am i to argue with success? :)

But no way one MAV-2 will flow enough gas to fire two cannons :) Maybe I'll cruise the Clippard site to see the MJV-2's just for educational purposes.

5. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

MAV-2 = ~6+ scfm
    MJV-2 = 25+ scfm

Either would be more than enough to fire one barrel.. The KIP valves are 9+ scfm.

I've still not seen a good way to fire two cannons at once using a valve like this... & My valves are 33scfm! Once one shell is fired, the pressure drops to zero. The Big Gun accums blowout 4 barrels at once, but god only knows what kind of flow rate their HUGE ball valves put out! Must be enourmous!