Po'boy battle posted

Discussion in 'Southeast Attack Squadron' started by Tugboat, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

For those who can't make Nats for some reason (took a 5% pay cut, got a 2-week furlow, or other hardship*), Pete D has posted a Savannah battle for July on the MWCI battles page. Come out and share your steel-exchange stimulus plan with the other economically disadvantaged battlers!

And remember the immortal words of Zorro, The Gay Blade (tm): 'My Peoples... there is no shame in being poor, only in being poorly dressed! hohohoho!'

*No, I didn't get BOTH of those, thank God... just two circumstances that I'm aware of.

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Sounds like an Iron Chef episode. Allez Cuisine!

3. Anachronus

How did the battling go?

4. zackcon2

zackcon2 Member

i only made it on sat and i thnk there where 3 sinks

5. Tugboat

Over the course of the weekend, Tim Krakowski and I both sank 3 times, only once apiece to enemy fire. One of my sinks was a non-damaging ram from Pete Dmitri's Iron Duke. Another was before a sortie started, when I grazed an unseen log underwater, which ripped my drag prop (still attached to its shaft!!!!) from lil Scharnie, creating a sizeable hole well below the waterline; Scharnie simply cruised right under with no warning. I retrieved him and did a quick tape patch and got on the water. My last sink was after getting shot up quite a bit, sitting low in the water with a minute left on 5 when Pete ran into me again, and Scharnie rolled over. It was all in good fun, don't think I'm complaining :) After all, inferior Allied ships need all the help they can to sink my axis powerhouses!!

Tim K sank once to failure to turn on pump, once to a ram (no idea WHO that might've been, pay no attention to Scharnie's scale ram bow), and once to enemy fire. He also had a gas line blow (he always has a gas line blow!) that did not result in damage. Tim's son Adam backed his own ship under once, but has become quite good at battling; I do not cut him any slack any more, he's that good.

Bill Byrnes showed up with his WW2 Scharnhorst, and his damage control was so awesome that he declined to patch 'aboves' the whole weekend. He literally had several holes that you could push a 12 gauge shell through in the bow... He only sank at last on Sunday afternoon. My hat is off to him! He left the lake at Pooler, GA, minus his Scharnhorst. He is nearing completion on a VU and apparently found a willing buyer for the stripped Scharnhorst hull. No idea who, but I had to find extra room in the bed of my truck for a large, unmarked box.
    Saturday, instead of going out to buy fast food for lunch, we all sat in the pavilion by the lake that overlooks our battle area, and I grilled hot dogs on my camping stove. That was really fun, lots of comeraderie, and now Tim and Adam have declared that they are joining Brian K and I in grilling at battles. Brian K was unable to battle this weekend because he had to pay the dues with the family, going to Myrtle Beach or some such. His lovely wife DID allow him to drop by on their drive out so that he could watch a sortie. Props to her for understanding addiction!

6. Anachronus

The wing props on the Scharnhorst go though soft area? Or did you drill holes for those shafts?

7. Tugboat

Drilled holes for them, but the impact was at full speed and I think having the hole almost directly on the bottom hurt in terms of water coming in. Pump wasn't on (start of battle) so by the time I realized what was up, it was too late. Pump was running great as I pulled her up from the bottom, though!

8. Anachronus

I worded that poorly. Why didn't you just glue a wooden dowel to the outside of the hull? That sort of accident has to be rare but then again so are deep sea oil well failures.

9. Tugboat

Because the stainless shaft with a real prop on it was PRETTY!! :)

10. Anachronus

Can't argue with that.

11. Tugboat

The drag props on the Edgar Quinet will be wood on wood dowels though!

12. Anachronus

That is a different kettle of bouillabaisse.

13. Tugboat

Indeed it is! I am SO looking forward to a single bow and stern gun, mounted in the casements!! Ker-POW!

14. Anachronus

Will MWC let you get away with that. It is my understanding that you can not mount any of Scharnhorst's guns in the casements. Why would Edgar be different?
    I was thinking of arming the forward wing turrets in Prince Edmund, so that could be a fun way to go.

15. Tugboat

Actually, you CAN mount main guns in casements if they're main guns. WWI Scharnie, Edgar, and a few others qualify.

16. Anachronus

That is certainly how the rules read. I just remember some one telling me it was not so.

17. Tugboat

The 2 BOD members for Region 3 think it's how the rules read. I do, and a number of other people, so I'm going with it. :)

18. Anachronus

We are going to have to stage either an Armored Cruiser Battle or just a flotilla of them at some point. We have French and British under construction and your Scharnhorst ready to go. It would be great!

19. Tugboat

Oh, yeah. I can see a Wednesday battle at next Nats... Edgar Quinets vs. other CAEs :) I've been having so much fun with Scharnie that Tim Krakowski is refitting his USS South Carolina :)

20. Anachronus

Get him into a CAE...A Tennessee would be lovely. Or a Blucher!