Pola Build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by chezbits, Jan 11, 2017.

1. chezbits

chezbits Member

Oh good thing I do combat robotics too. How do you waterproof it? And will they work at 6v?

2. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Website days 6.5v to 24v. I'm using a Wasp in my Gloire rebuild. I gave it a thorough coat of E6000 for waterproofing.

3. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

The driver chip on the Wasp is rated 5.5 to 27.5 volts so the Wasp should work with 6v. The 6.5v minimum rating is probably the minimum input voltage the Wasp's onboard BEC reg is rated for. I don't have any 6v SLA batteries so I can't test. IMO you should consider more voltage. 6v leaves little headroom for your BEC to maintain 5v to your electronics. More voltage would help with your speed issues also.

4. chezbits

chezbits Member

What kind of battery and what voltage would you reccomend? Im mainly using those slas to keep my weight up

5. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

If you want to stick with SLA's you can try one of these. 12v 2.9ah that looks like it will fit in your hull and is about the same weight of your current battery.

http://batteryguy.com/12v-2.9ah-sealed-lead-acid-sla-battery.html

Before jumping to 12v I'd recommend a dedicated BEC that can handle 12v and disabling any onboard BEC's that might be in your ESC's (unless the ESC is rated for 12v).

6. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

http://www.batteryspace.com/nimhbatterypack6v4500mah27wh5xsc32arate.aspx

That's the pack I use in all my smaller cruisers. Pola is pretty beefy, could run two of them.
    Very pretty boat! Steeper props and support the shafts. Can use strip aluminum bent into a hook shape and epoxied into the hull, or some steel rod soldered to the shafts. Viper 25 AH esc is what I use in cruisers. They are $$$ but they have worked well for me. So close to battle!