Possible Hull Projects

Discussion in 'General' started by Bob Pottle, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Rob Clarke, a former NABS member, just donated a large number of plans in scales from 1/144 to 1/50 for me to share with Ralph Coles.

Included are the SMS Blucher, multiple Russian and Italian predreadnoughts (several too old for IRCWCC), French Democratie and Courbet, unknown Japanese interwar cruisers with the plans entirely in Japanese (might be the Natori Class with modernised bridge), very good plans for USS Detroit, HMS Lord Nelson and HMS Arethusa (for which Rob made a mold that was later acquired by Strike Models). There's a nice plan for HMS Belfast, with longitudinal lines but strangely no cross-sections at all. Lots of others to inventory.

The Italian plans include cruiser Libia (1905), armored cruiser Pisa (1907) and predreadnoughts Regina Elena, Napoli and Roma (1905-1907). The last 2 are later ships on the same hull design but differ in appearance from the RE.

On the past weekend Ralph was wondering if anyone would be intersted in the Blucher. We now have excellent plans for it. I would do some of the Italian ships or the Lord Nelson if there was enough interest.

2. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in the HMS Lord Nelson.

3. Bob Pottle

I've thought about doing a hull for the LN and sister Agamemnon for years but had no hull lines. She's wide enough to be allowed a sidemount.

4. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in either the plans, or a hull of a Blucher (to be sure we're talking about the right Blucher, the one that went down at Dogger Bank)

Seriously. if you don't end up making a Blucher Hull, I'll take the plans.

5. Bob Pottle

That's the right Blucher. Ralph will be checking out the plans, probably tomorrow. He's been interested in making the hull mold for a while; we were talking about it 2 weeks ago, before we knew Rob Clarke had a good set of plans.

6. Bob Pottle

The Japanese CL plans are for the IJN Nagara. Would anyone want a hull? It's not got a lot of displacement.

7. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Shoot me a PM when you guys decide. I know you guys aren't doing any hulls except during the summer, and I won't have room on the slips until FY20 anyway, so there is no rush.

8. Bob Pottle

Ralph Coles and I went through Rob Clarke's plans this afternoon. Ralph took several pre-dreadnought plans home to review: Lord Nelson, Roma (E. Regina Class), Borodino, and Evstafi. I have plans for the pdn Imperator Pavel.

I think we'll make at least 2 pdn hull molds between us but will need to know which are preferred.

I've got the USS Detroit and Nagara plans and am tempted to make molds for both in 2020. The 2019 build schedule is full.

Ralph has been keen to make a Blucher mold for a few years but only if there's enough interest. We now have a very detailed plan set.

9. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

I have the ANB plans for Napoli (E. Regina class), I'd be willing to donate to Ralph and buy a hull if he makes a mold for that hull. I could design and 3d print some bits like the turrets if that'd help.

10. Bob Pottle

I forgot to mention that we have 1/96 plans for the Napoli as well as the Roma. Ralph is very interested in making a mold for the E.R. Class; if he decides to do the Blucher instead I'd do the E.R. if 4+ people wanted it.

3D prints would help sell the hulls; I'd be willing to sell the mold because I don't enjoy making hulls.

11. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

"3D prints would help sell the hulls"
    As in turrets and super structure?

12. absolutek

That's kind of what I was thinking.

13. Bob Pottle

3D is the way to go. A friend will print new turrets for my HMS Cumberland, replacing my fiberglass versions (for which Strike has the mold) and adding more detail. He thinks he can print funnels for my 3 cruisers under construction (Cumberland, Profintern and Effingham) and turrets for HMS Indefatigable.

Xanthar likes this.
  14. Bob Pottle

Ralph Coles was just here to drop off some of the plans he borrowed. He's decided against a hull mold for SMS Blucher but will do the Elena Regina Class predreadnought if there's enough interest to sell half a dozen hulls, or if there's a potential buyer for the mold. Let me know if interested in either option.

My new hull projects are still on hold because the ex hasn't finished moving out and her stuff is all over the house. Hopefully I can start on the Java plug next weekend.

15. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

A potential concern about the Regina Elena class is that it has single gun turrets, and now a days essentially all pre-dreadnoughts that get built and show up to actual battles use 3 single units cannons (dual bow or stern, and single sidemount), so that class probably would not be very appealing since it would be limited to a single bow or stern gun. I think there would be potential for some other pre-dreads that haven't had hulls offered before. I also recommend sending an email out to the IRCWCC yahoo list to gauge interest, only a fraction of the active IRC members are on this forum, a larger portion are on the yahoo list.

16. Bob Pottle

Thanks Kevin. In that case the Nelson would be a better choice as the fore and aft main turrets are twins. (I have good plans for the Nelson in 1/96 scale.) I'd assumed 3.5 unit predreadnoughts would be using a 1 unit pump and 1.5 and 1.0 unit cannons.

I used to belong to the IRCWCC Yahoo site years ago but when I tried to rejoin Yahoo required a mobile phone number, which they had no business requesting imo.

17. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

With pump tech now pre-dreads can get by on 1/2 unit pump without taking significant additional risk given small size and elusiveness. I might be building Radetzky soon, I'd probably put in dual sterns and bow sidemount with 75 round magazine. I'd run with 3 guns for fleet battles (backup ship), and use the 1.5 unit sidemount for convoy hunting when stern guns would be less valuable

Understand about the yahoo list, if you want a message forwarded to that list let me know (with contact email address if possible to include with email)

18. absolutek

@Bob Pottle you can tell Ralph I'll buy two Regina Elena class hulls if he makes the mold. Some of us like interesting ships, even if we can't make it out to battles too often, we still buy hulls and build them. I don't believe having two 1 cannon turrets is much of an issue either, besides the Regia Marina is under represented in available hulls.

19. Bob Pottle

Will do. We like the hull shape; there's a nice curved transition from deck to hull sides at the bow. The later ships of the class had shorter funnels than the RE and were much better looking imo.

Ralph really wanted to make a hull mold for the Borodino Class pdn but it's outside the IRCWCC time period.

20. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

As someone who has run Radetsky for a few years the ship is a beast for shooting convoys with twin sterns. Long range since they are so low to the water. The ship moves so well it sneak around faster heavier ships to get to the convoy. I love mine.