Possible Hull Projects

Discussion in 'General' started by Bob Pottle, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insight Bob, what size props did you use?

2. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Connecticut class pre dreads might be a good choice as well. Four of the six were launched in the correct period, similar to Radetsky (same length,slightly narrower and low to the water).

Kevin P. likes this.
  3. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Hey Bob, if you still have the SMS Blucher plans, I'd love a copy. But if you and Ralph do revisit the Blucher sometime down the road, I would be cotton to grabbing one or two hulls from you. Hit me up on PM if you want to sell a copy. I have some Canadian currency I need to get rid of.

4. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I might do the Blucher since Rob Clarke was unable to find his plans for the Russian AC Rurik, which was larger. I'm taking another look at my mold making schedule and might drop the Nisshin down the wait list because it might not sell as well as a combat hull.

I plan to start the Java plug next weekend. Tre Kronor is high on the list but I have to draw approximate hull cross sections which will take a few weeks. The Blucher plan is ready to use, as is the plan for the Italian AC Pisa.

Anvil_x likes this.
  5. absolutek

I have rurik plans.

6. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

When you finish the Tre Kronor, I still want 2 of them.

7. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I run two 1.25” 4 blade kort nozzle props.

Kevin P. likes this.
  8. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Most predreads are about the same size. Radetsky is the best class as it is the only one with twin rudders.

9. absolutek

I think it would be more correct to say there are a few groups of different PDNs that are about the same size. Most are not the same. There is up to a 10" difference in length, and up to a 1" difference in beam among all PDN classes on the ship list.

10. Bob Pottle

Still nothing happening with the new hull plugs (Java and Nisshin). I was back to the hobby shop today and they still don't have any 1/4" thick basswood for the hull frames. I couldn't get an answer on when it'll be restocked.

11. Bob Pottle

Unfortunately Ralph is no longer making new hull molds for the hobby so no predreadnoughts from him.

My 3 cruiser mold projects (Dorsetshire/London Class CAs, Spanish CL Eugenia, and Dutch Java Class CL) have been stuck at the assembled hull frame stage since March due to major house renovations. The new basement addition has an exhaust port thru the foundation so I can work with fiberglass all year round and vent the fumes. I'll resume work on the hull plugs in August after the motorcycle shed is finished. The frames are ready for injection of expanding foam. (Decided against using left over pink and blue foam insulation because too much cutting and gluing is needed.)

Boatmeister, Nate G and Xanthar like this.
  12. Nate G

Nate G Well-Known Member

good luck with projects all.
    looking forward to seeing JAVA.

Safe travels on the bike.