Possibly useful electrical connection

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by GregMcFadden, Dec 8, 2008.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I am still trying to figure out what to do with these, as I have about 100 of them...

They have a 10-32 thread at one end and the other end is a crimp connection for what appears to be 8 gauge... I am considering putting these into a hull as electrical tie in points for bussing... or maybe using them on cables...

Not sure what else, but I figured I'd see if anyone else had any ideas...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Are you sure that those are for crimping? They look like brass... Then again, you have them in front of you, and I don't :)

3. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Leaving exsposed wiring (copper or brass or anything else) in your ship is an invite for a short, lots of melted wires and the end of your battling day. Cover your wiring with heat shrink. Never used crimp on connections as they corrode and don't work after a year or two.

4. GregMcFadden

Yep. they are for crimping... although they would solder just fine. I just am not sure what to use them for... (if nothing, off to the scrapper they go)

I've seen the corrosion issues, and shorting is more of an issue with not having internal metal tied down... unless you are in salt water. But the real question... what could these be used for?

5. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Pass through on a watertight box?

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I don't think water getting into the wiring is a problem for those of us battling in freshwater :) I mean, really, with a ship under 5 feet of water, I daresay that there is no ship in the hobby that has watertight wiring.

7. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Bottom of gun interupters??? 10/32nd could be air in, other side to fit in cap.

[​IMG]

8. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

He He if all else fails... you could use them for ballast!? [:)]

9. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

"Oh my, what is that shiny thing on your ship? ooooo, me likey!"

10. GregMcFadden

I'm thinking about using them as deck tiedowns or epoxying them into hulls as a built in tieoff point, or something like that...

Still considering..

11. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

If you are using brass/copper accumulators, they would be great for the hose fittings. 10-32 is the thread used for clippard minimatics isn't it?

12. GregMcFadden

actually, yes it is. it would be a small accumulator though... unless I am missing something

13. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

I meant that you could solder them into the end of your acummulator/expansion tank, and have a good looking, strong fitting instead of just tapping a hole in the thin metal. (I'm assuming the hole goes right thru). You may even be able to flare them a bit before you fit the tank end, for greater strength.

14. GregMcFadden

ahh, yes that would be a good use...

15. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

i would try water tight box with um.were did you get um

16. GregMcFadden

Dumpster diving (figuratively) at work. the box of them was going to get thrown out as they are about two revisions and one part number too old on the part to be used, I took one look at them and thought... I wonder if these would be useful.

Luckily at work we use an internal recycling system when possible... when we get a pile large enough to take to the recyclers, one of the folks with a truck (unfortunately I don't have a truck) takes it off the company's hands... works out well since otherwise we have to pay someone to come in and take it away. I tend to keep an eye out on the pile for useful stuff.

17. wrenow

wrenow RIP

I was also thinking - drill a hole in your accumulator tanks, insert and solder. If you just need a small local volume tank, see if the appropriate sized K&S brass tubing will fit over it and solder.

A fitrting for interrupter guns, as mentioned, might also be a very good use, depending on the OD of the smooth-bore part. Or the breech for a single-shot torp gun, if it happens to be 1/4"

Cheers,

Wreno

Cheers,

Wreno

18. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Yes, fitting for copper expansion tanks! I have been making similar for years. the Hex part gives you a good solder connection to the copper walls. I have been turning down brass rod to get a shoulder for the same reason and tapping with 10-32 tap to fit most of clippard fittings.

Marty

19. GregMcFadden

the od of the narrow section is 0.270...

20. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Sounds like an easy single shot torp breech, then (add a sleeve/barrel, a magnet to the outside to hold the round, call it done). Or, going the other way, a single-shot BB-canon breech. Or part of the interrupter for an interrupter breech cannon. Or the end fitting for an accumulator. Literally tons of uses.

Cheers,