Pre-dreadnaught mania

Discussion in 'Midwest Naval Combat Club' started by froggyfrenchman, Nov 25, 2013.

1. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

All
    We are planning to kick off the pre-dreadnaught mania project by building up perhaps 4 pre-dreadnaughts.
    The plan is to have a pair of ships for both the axis and allied fleets. And we are wondering what kind of ship plans are readily available.
    In the short-term, we plan to get some plans together and lay down four hulls.
    In the long-term, we plan to come up with a very simple internals layout that would fit into them.
    We are hoping to have them all on the water by May or June.
    Realistically, the first pair will probably be the same class, and allied. The follow-on pair will probably be axis. But they may not be from one class.
    It appears that the French web-site is down again. Does anyone have any plans for the Frenchies? Eventually, I will be interested in building some that are French.
    But yesterday we were discussing U.S., German, and British.
    The first thing we need is help locating building plans.
    After that, we would like to see opinions on what folks would like to see out there on the water.
    We feel that although some will turn better than others, due to shafts/rudders arrangements, they should all turn good enough to be great boats.
    Mikey

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I have the French plans for the Verite and Danton.
    Also have the scans of the some of original Deustchland plans. No hull stations view unfortunately.

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Chase, Clark or I all have (full I believe) copies of the french archives.

4. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Plans for the HMS King Edward VII can be found here: http://www.wunderwaffe.narod.ru/Magazine/MK/2002_03/Draw/index.htm
    They're one of my favorite pre-dreadnought's. Got to love their ram bows. ;)
    ~B~

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I have a wonderful set of plans for the IJN Mikasa, and a very nice DELFTship model of the Russian predread Borodino. I also have a couple other Russian pre-dreads, another Japanese pre-dread, and I think I have one of the German pre-dreads, too. Unfortunately my plans collection is unavailable right now while I'm on leave. I can check for more detail once I get back.

6. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

Wow some really cool possibles out there. I have always thought the Brandenburg where unique looking ships. I have plans for Mississippi, Virgina, and I think another German Predread. I dont know alot about the early french predreads, but I think it was the Charlemagne? or Charles Martel? one of them was very interesting.

7. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

I have Brandenburg plans, would love to make one if it was legal to run in small gun.

8. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Those Mississippi/Kilkis PDNs are great little ships. They turn amazingly well. We have one here in the South that is used by one of the kids battling locally. Fun little ship to watch. :)

9. froggyfrenchman

Thanks for all of the replies. We will be discussing which ships to start out with at the boat-display this Friday.
    That is a pretty good list to choose from. We hope to have the first hull under construction at some point this weekend.
    No doubt from one of the plan sets that the locals already have. Then we will make arrangements to obtain plans from someone else so that we can get the second project started.
    Mikey

10. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

That sounds like what we are looking for. I dont know a whole lot about predreads, where some of the Japanese predreadnoughts copies of British ones? Also, I know the Italians sold copies of some of the Armored cruisers, did they sell any of their dreadnoughts?
    Does anyone have Charlemagne? or Charles Martel plans?
    I would like to build either a Brandenburg, or a Schleswig-Holstein personally

11. Beaver

SMS Pommern was a sister ship to Schleswig-Holstein, and Tugboat has hull lines on the first page of his Edger Quinet build.

~B~

12. absolutek

Those aren't Pommern plans, they are Schleswig Holstein plans (most likely). Pommern never got those modifications.

I have the Charlemagne plans, I don't believe the charles Martel plans were in the SHD online.

13. Beaver

What modifications are you talking about? Not that it really matters, just curious.

~B~

14. absolutek

Different ss mainly.

15. Beaver

How do you know that it's not Pommern when I only posted the hull lines???

Beaver

16. absolutek

I have magical powers.

17. absolutek

I also have the full plans those came from

18. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

wow most excellent, I will ensure that the German predreadnought rib sections are utilized. Thank you very much. I think its high time a large amount of predreadnoughts were unleashed upon the unsuspecting WWII era ships.

19. froggyfrenchman

Does anyone have a set of plans for the USS Indiana BB1?
    Mikey

20. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Quite so!:D