Photos Pre-dreadnaught mania

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by froggyfrenchman, Dec 2, 2013.

1. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

The Potemkin is progressing along. My least favorite part of building a wood ship is done... sheeting the bottom.
    [​IMG]

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

A real movie star you have there, even though she was not actually used in the filming.

3. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

We had a build session today and worked on the pre-dreadnoughts.
    The Liberte has most of the bottom fill in place.
    [​IMG]
    The Potemkin has been fiberglassed, sealed, and the stuffing tubes are installed.
    [​IMG]
    The Danton is just getting started.
    [​IMG]

4. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Ships are looking good! :)

Beaver

5. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

6. froggyfrenchman

I was able to meet up with Mark.
    I told him to give me _______, or give me ______.
    Hey what can I say? I'm a Patrie.
    Mikey

7. froggyfrenchman

My little French pre-dreadnaught is coming along nicely. Not yet ready to be sealed. But getting there.
    And Mark hooked me up with the rib stations for the big French pre-dreadnaught, so I will be trying to make some progress on it as well.
    Mikey

8. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I noticed there isn't a stringer in the Liberte. Was it left out to make the build easier?

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

This is great stuff. I can't wait to see pre-dreadnought ships battle it out. Is anyone making a Mikasa? If I ever get a predreadnought that's the one I want to build and out of these wood kits.

10. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

The Mikasa went out for prototyping today :) Actually it's a King Edward VII, with a removable 1.8" section to allow building the Formidable class, Duncan class, and Mikasa.
    On the Liberte I put the front casemate and stringer in and then kept it slab sided from there back. So the builder has the choice of adding the casemates or skipping them.

11. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

The Verite plans had a defined hull break starting at the front casement that ran the length of hull to the stern. Not sure if all of the Liberte class had it though.
    Though keeping the ship slab sided won't take anything away from the ship and makes it easier to sheet. :)

12. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

w00t! yay Mikasa! I have a Big Gun Mikasa that just needs superstructure and a motor upgrade, but if you're making a Mikasa then I gotta get one :)
    I also have a nice DELFTship model of the Borodino class. If anybody wants it, ask and you shall receive. If not, it may eventually become the basis for a 3dp project...

13. Anachronus

Damn you Mark! Feeding my addiction like that. I'll have to add a Mikasa to my Potemkin order. :D :woot:
    Any chance for other Tsushima ships?:laugh:

14. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

What all ships are you guys building currently?
    Kotori, I'd love to have a copy of your Delftship model. I've been looking for plans for a Borodino. :)

Beaver

15. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

I'm planning to stop with the 3 PDNs for now. It was fun to quickly do these simple ships, but I have other projects to work on and people waiting. In the future I would like to do an American PDN. I'm partial to the Kearsarge, which shares length, beam, and deck configuration with the Retvizan/Hizen...

16. Anachronus

Retvizan has one more deck I think. The Kearsarges were rather low freeboard.

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Man this is great. I can't wait to see fleets of these small pre-dreadnoughts battle. It's going to be a great site to see.

18. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

We displayed ships at a swap meet today in Urbana OH. In-between talking to other modelers, I had a chance to assemble my latest PDN prototype. It came together pretty good, including the removable 1.8" section so that you can build other similar classes.
    [​IMG]
    Also, I have kits for the Potemkin/Evasafi and Libertie/Republic PDNs available for $60 + shipping. I don't have any directions or superstructure plans done yet, but they are not hard to put together if you want to get started. PM me if you are interested.

19. Anachronus

20. froggyfrenchman

As far as I know, we will have a Kilkis (Phil), Republique (Vance), Patrie (Marina), and Danton (your's truly), in addition to whatever Mark builds.
    Phil has also expressed an interest in one of the smaller Frenchies. It seems like I am forgetting someone.
    Of course Mike M. already has one in service.
    I am also planning to suggest these little beauties to the newer folks as beginner ships.
    Mikey