Pre-Turkey-Day Build session!!

Discussion in 'Southeast Attack Squadron' started by Tugboat, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

At Tugboat's shop in Statesboro! This Sunday 24 NOV 2013!
    Showing up are: Tug, Brian K, Christopher K, David W, and maybe YOU!!!
    See the newest printed toys, enjoy food and drink, and oh, yeah, work on boats!

2. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Very tempting, Tuggy.

It's only 3.5 hrs from here. But I'll have to raincheck for the Spring build fest, too much else to do right now.

Jeff

3. Tugboat

Jeff, we do build sessions nearly every weekend, so you don't have to wait till Spring :)

4. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Ah, but I'm moving my stuff from Fla to NC over Thanksgiving, then December is unpacking & holidays.....

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Any other day I'd say yes, but right now it's a very long plane flight or a week-long drive to attend. I get back from leave around the 18th or 19th of December, so maybe we could set something up then.

6. Tugboat

I'm off every weekend over the holidays, plus Christmas Eve, New Years Day, etc... the shop is almost always open to you Carl :) (I'll be busy on Turkey Day and Christmas) :)

7. Tugboat

Brian K came over, the boys chickened out. Looks like Stefan will be driving that I-boat this Spring, since he's not working on his Nagato! Christopher will be puttingin another year as a Baden driver, but that's probably a good thing, as it seems to be his niche.
    Brian got done (finally) with his ribs and stringers, and was installing the 1/2" wood piece that joins the stern deck to the forward deck at the step....
    I finished my electrical harness and got my pump tested. hooray for printed pumps :)
    We also discussed future printed parts to join the MAG throttle, Dual-MAV mount, and DC Pump. I will be adding a rudder servo mount, a single-motor/single-shaft gearbox (550 and 380 sizes),with more to come (like printed hulls) in the Spring.
    On the note of printed hulls, the USS Connecticut file is being slowly generated; hull first, then I'll do the deck and SS. Two test hulls will be made and battle-tested. I was going to print them on the Mendel in several pieces, but as it's taking a while to do a quality job on the CAD file, I am waiting until early Spring when Rostock will be up and running.
    On that matter, today in the shop, Rostock went 3-D. That is to say, I cut out the plywood top and bottom pieces, connected appropriate printed parts, and connected the top and bottom with 36" tall 8mm tool steel rods. You can see it below. There's a lot of background clutter, but it's not hard to see...
    [​IMG]
    And up close on the base, you can see the M4 screws holding the printed parts to the base. The cutouts in between the rods are where the carriage drive belts go from the motor pulley on the bottom up to the idler pulley on top. The carriages are connected to the belt somewhere in between.
    [​IMG]
    And speaking of the carriages... The three carriages ride up and down on pairs of linear bearings. You can also see a closer view of the uper end printed parts that hold the 8mm rods, and soon, the idler pulleys. I don't have the M3 screws in the carriages yet because they get ordered later this week. between the carriages and the platform (the thing in the middle that holds the hot end) will be 3 pairs of 3/8" arrow shafts with Traxxas universal joints on the ends. Need to source the arrow shafts, already have the unis in hand :)
    [​IMG]

8. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Clark,
    What is That?
    Nikki