Preparations for IRCWCC NATS

Discussion in 'Atlantic Radio Control Club' started by CURT, Feb 4, 2010.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

:) I figure I might as well post info on preparations for my trip to IRCWCC NATS. Bismarck currently undergoing equipment installation. Paul (bb26) offered me his air miles so that I could fly to Halifax and from their we would drive to Nats...ROAD TRIP!!!:woot: Paul purchased the USS TENNESSEE from me. I had the hull already cut out for him, the shaft entry locations cut out, rudder location cut out. A deck already cut out made from from Sintra plastic, Main turrets and secondaries and ship plans. Paul will be bringing his PE as a backup.
    Paul has a PT cruiser. So far the flight is booked. Plan is for me to arrive in Hfx a day or 2 before we travel. Reason so I can inspect the crate that will be carrying my ships to Halifax make sure that the models survived that Journey.o_OI was checking into how I was going to ship these. Before I used Purolator and Fedex and it was expensive. I live on an Island and getting off the Island is not cheap. I talked to a friend who reguarly ships large car parts . He says he recently shipped a part out in a box 8ft long by 4ft wide weight about 100lbs. Sent it by Frieght which cost him 40.oo cdn . 2 wks delivery. If that's the case I should be able to send 2 ships to Halifax in one crate for roughly half the cos tI would normally pay for one ship in a crate through Fedex or UPS or Purolator.
    Sooooo I had intended just to bring Bismarck but if I really truly want to have FUN:woot: then why not bring my YAMATO to Nats as well. I can build a crate to carry both hulls or whole models . I f I ship it by freight I should be able to get both models to Hfx and then to NATS. That would be sweet. I could operate both behemoths at different events and enjoy both or just keepone as a back up. Either way it would be great to have both there as they are both veteran ships and my most successful I have ever used. I would probalby have to resheet Yamato before I go down. The hull needs to be stripped of the old paint and resheeted. Last time Yamato had a good battle was 4 yrs ago so it too could use a good battle.
    Time to get things moving along.

2. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

You're gonna need air shocks for the pt cruiser. It will be awesome to see both ships!

3. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

It would be nice to see the Yammer back in action. If Yammer is coming then I will have to get a move on and cut the Rodney Hull. Tennesee and Rodney are not quite a BIS and Yamato.

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Ahh yes but the Tennessee and Rodney are no less formidable either. Looking at the crate situation I figure I would need to build 2 crates one for each ship. Paul does your PT cruiser have a Roof Rack? Yamato is already ready as far as combat equipment goes. I plan to test the hull for penetration by using a 12 inch hollow brass tube and 1/8 in brass rod solid so I can do drop tests along the hull and check for penetration. Most likely where the hull sheeting is getting soft and spongy I will have to strip it down and resheet it.

5. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

There is no roof rack ut the back seats fold completely down. I have gotten doors, 8 foot lengths of quarter round in it, a christmas tree so there should be plenty of room. i will get some pics this week and send it to you.

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Ok sounds good.

7. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I think we should be able to get 4 boats in the back with no problems.

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Hope so Paul. Measured both ships all round to figure out the size of the crates and called Same Day shipping for prices. For less than 200.00 I could send 3 crates. 3 ships. I could send Yamato Bismarck and VDT or Konig. For 140.00 I could send both Yamato and Bismarck. Of Cousre the ships wil not be in their crates once their in your Cruiser. You will need 2ft of widith and 6ft of length to accomodate these 2 beasts.

9. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

It should not be a problem.There should be enough room for us and the boats.

10. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Kurt;

You only need one ship! Changing ships during Nats messes up your sortie average. Glad to hear you are so very actively planning to attend, look forward to seeing and battleling you again.

Marty

11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

That'S a good point Marty. It would make it easier for me to focus on getting Bismarck ready after all the old guy needs more attention that way. Maybe I can just bring it down for cruising . With the Freight charges it would cost almost the same amount to ship one model by freight as 2. Lookign at 8.00 bucks more I can ship another large crate. I may as well bring Yamato down but I hear you on the point for sortie average so I will stick with Bismarck for the entire event.
    I'm going to have to read up on all this again. Been out of action far too long. Still workign out the details but Bismarck is battling this event. The hoses won't blow off the valves this time their all going to be clamped!Are you still using QE?
    Looking forward to seeing you guys finally!! What it's been over 20 yrs? I stil have the same ship? OMG!! :eek::cry::laugh:

12. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

No, I drive a NC now!

13. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

oohhhhh You moved up! What happened did Toyota extend it's recall to QE class ships?LoL.That's great to hear Marty. Can you do the slideslip and shoot like you could with the QE? Hmmm maybe I should just bring Yamato and use that for the whole event to scare ya a little. Naww I will stick with Bismarck it can deal with NC classes pretty good. ..I hope I am out of practice.

14. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Still have the Warspite and it is ready to battle! But the Allied forces needed more firepower! I have been watching the tapes of CAN-NATs that you guys were kind enough to send me and loving the coments: "Watch out for Marty, he has his gun at some weird angle!" " We have you now, 5:1 (chase at the end of the sortie)" "Marty has a Bow Gun!"

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Yeah I remember that all too well. How could I forget. I was on the receiving end of that one. You surprised me there. If Yamato was any smaller that would have sunk me right then and there. You and Bob Pottle made a great team. Your both sneaky disguising barrels as fake or making fake ones look operational. Very sneaky but a lot of fun. I still have all those videos. Haven't watched them in 3 yrs but I guess it's time to do that too.

16. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Good news bb26. Reciieved your plane ticket and flight itinerary. Tks for the remaining payment for the Cali hull. Your rudder sir is on it's way tomorrow. Ok so now it's the ship , passports and the ship .. .luggage...and the ship...and the GF...and the ship....

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Next week going to get the papers for the passport. I also ordered the mini cam GO PRO HERO camera from Great Hobbies. Half price only 169.00. I'm going to figure out a way to mount it on Bismarck so that it can film all the action as viewed from the deck of Bismarck. The camera is in a bb proof enclosure ,waterproofed to 100ft. Can't wait to get it and try it out.
    I also ordered Additional Co2 fittings and valves from BC and Main and Secondaries and a spare Bismarck prop from Strike. Hoping to hear back to see if I can get a replacement foam rubber Superstructure for Bismarck. Goal is to use my current one as a battle superstructure and use the replacement as a well detailed pretty superstructure to place on the model for those peacetime cruises after the war at Nats is over. I may get the Battery Charger as well from Strike.

I was short a couple of valves and fittings so these will help get the Bismarck fully ready.

18. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

This is good to hear. I am still waiting for my parts from Battlers. I just whether they are stuck with CCRA-P or the postal service has done a Houdini and made them disappear. The tracking information last shows enroute to Canada. That was as of the 11th.

19. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

It's sitting in Montreal waiting to be screened for customs and security.

20. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

No doubt. Probably waiting on someone's desk and they are not in. I cant't even strip the PE until it comes in as it contains my silkspan