Prinz Eugen Build

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Battle Squadron' started by CURT, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Captains the Roma has left it's dock and in it's place resides the hull of the Prinz Eugen. Pics will start appearing this week. [^]

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Hyuk Hyuk Hyuk.. well sure Pardn'r go ahead and while your at it get me some Grits.. AH I mean Timbits.

3. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Captains this is day 1 of the Prinz Eugen rebuild.

[​IMG]

First we start with a detailed set of plans.

[​IMG]

Then we place the ship on the operating table

[​IMG]

The model is emptied of it's contents.

[​IMG]

Some of the interior is already in place. This refit will go quickly.

4. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Curt how are you mounting the guns on her? I was thinking tripple sterns, or double sterns with a stern rotate haymaker. Mine is fighting MWC rules. I have never seen one fight, so I'm trying to come up with the best gun setup for her.

5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I am installing a BOW sidemoutn, a stern sidemount haymaker and a stern gun.

6. donanton

donanton Member

I was wondering about the use of rotating trples in IRCWCC format. I read through the rules and didnt see much about the rear triples. Does the middle cannon not break the "no 2 guns in the same quadrant under a certain tonnage? rule because its in between the rear 2 quadrants?

7. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

In the MWC, I can have tripples if the ship was so equipped, I was thinking about making them rotate 15 deg from side to side over the stern.

8. donanton

donanton Member

If you can have them rotate, why not have them match the throw of the rudder. The guns turn when the rudder does.

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

The ship doesn't require any rotation mechanism because it turns on a dime. There's not a lot of room inside to mount Tripples in one turret. I barely got the tripples in the Roma Turret and it's bigger than the VU turrets. I don't believe the VU can have a rotating gun. The ship is not over 40,000 tons or more than 60 inches long.

Rotating guns are more effective on ships that don't maneuver very well particular in confined areas. SHips like the VU have such great maneuverability they don't require a rotate. The less mechanisms operating your ship essentials the more reliable it will be.

Pivoting guns 15 degrees is allright but does not make much of an impact. 15 DEGREES to either side is not much variance from centerline.

My advice. Practive your maneuvering.

OOOHH I don't know if I can make this bigger than the Roma build. But it will be a big improvement that is for sure and it will work.

10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

AYE ADMIRAL AYE!

11. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Parts will be shipped off on wednesday. I will be stripped some parts from the sodak as I have a battlers order placed and can afford to use lose them for a bit.

12. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

That's why I can also view the progress from my BlackBerry.

13. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

And let's see if we can surpass the Roma thread for the amount of replies.

14. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Yeah lets see!

15. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

"I don't believe the VU can have a rotating gun. The ship is not over 40,000 tons or more than 60 inches long."

Your interpretation of the rule is incorrect. ALL ships class 4 or better may have a rotating gun. Rule 10g in the IRCWCC states:

Ships in Class 4 and above may have rotating turrets. Rotating turrets are those that are able to traverse from one quadrant to another, including from one side to the other. A ship with rotating turrets may not violate section 11.b or 11.c, below.

Rule 11b states:

Any ship over 40,000 tons standard displacement or 60" scale length (in 1/144 scale) may have one rotating turret with one cannon. When so equipped a ship may have no more than two side firing cannons, one rotating and one static, covering the same side quadrant.

This rule's intent is for ships which are over 60" scale length, and allows them to have TWO side mounted guns firing into one quadrant, provided one of them is a rotate. Two fixed guns in the same quadrant is a no-no, as are two rotates. If you rotate one of them between the two quadrants, you are ok.

Invincible, VDT, Defflinger, VU etc are all allowed one rotating gun, provided it's the only gun in its quadrant because they are class 4 or better. In fact, when I was first building my Invincible, Marty Hayes recommended that I build her with dual sterns and a bow rotate.

Mike D

16. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing that up. I do remember setting up an Invincible with a Rotate one time but It didn't work very well. The ruling is a little vague . I don't thing small maneuverable ships need a rotate but that's just my opinion.

However I like the idea of a bow rotate and dual sterns . Better yet how about a stern rotate and dual bow gun. HMmm that may work.

Now you got me thinking. [}:)]

17. CaptainPMonkey

CaptainPMonkey New Member

silly question Curt, but why is did she need to be rebuilt?

18. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

All the PE had is a hull. No superstructure. Hence the rebuild (or build)

19. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I really, really like the stern gun on my Invincible...I don't think it's something you want to give up. She's slow enough captains seem to think "Just a little more and I'll have that sidemount on target...all the way till my stern gun goes pssst psssst psssst. What might be worthy though is dual sterns in "Q" turret and an aft rotate in "Y"....

Now you've got ME thinking ;)

Mike D

20. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Hmmm I like that option too. Hmmm.. hmmm.. hm.. Got to go and build.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.