Prinz Eugen Build

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Battle Squadron' started by CURT, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Looking good Curt sitting preety good in the water.

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

No water leaked in and it kicked pretty good. I think the smaller motors was the way to go. Will know soon as I can get more 'Open' water with it.

3. Chris Easterbrook

Hope everthing goes well, and keep us posted.

4. ChuckR

ChuckR Active Member

Another fine piece of Admiral Stokes' work.

5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Well the B cannon was test fired. It's a homemade Bob cannon old style using brass tube. The bbs were jamming in the T valve. I took the cap off and removed the barrel. Took out the pin. It's homemade pin made of brass with some kind of insert to plug the Piston. This was getting jammed because of the angle of the cannon and upfeed. I installed one of my battler's Mags and upfeed and installed the short barrel. The batter's T is the stock pin with spring. I locked the cannon down in a vise and test fired. It fired very well. I tried a coil but could not fire on the steep downangle no matter what way I positioned the coil mag. I am going to install my mag with the short barrel that was on the old cannon. Test firing to conclude this evening on that cannon.

6. Chris Easterbrook

Well I hope you get it all figured out Curt.

7. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Oookayyy! I just got back from the pond. The PE was tested on it's first SEA TRIAL..YAAYYY.

The Trials were PHENOM. Pond conditions ... more suitable for a Yamato or Bismarck then a small class 4. However the PE performed...PHENOMONALLY. I never operated a model with that kind of precise handling and control. I expected it to "BOB" around like a cork in the swells which at times were higher than her weather deck. The ship "Slurrpped" it green at full speed into the waves..took on Lots of water however the ballast was not effected and the model stayed upright. THe pump kicked in and worked beautifully.

Once I got the hang of operating it and taking pics simulatanoulsly it was amazing. The PE turns on a dime..literally. Very little rudder control is all that is required to get the little guy into sharp manueuvers or tight turns. I was able to make it slide skid and come about face... a nasty maneuver to surprise a much faster or larger ship that is overtaking it.
    I think I seen Marty do this with his QE. Looks like the concreate sealeant that I used to layer the bottom of the model's hull worked for the stablility. Even in these rough conditions I thought for sure the model would roll really bad. It didn't roll. It stayed mostly steady.That means it will keep it's guns on target in rough water without the excessive rolling. Seems to be theway to go for these smaller ships.It does improve the stability by a huge margin.

Issues: Not sure on the speed. I had nothing to gauge it against and the large waves and ripples on the water didn't help either.

Going to need a breakwater or 2 on the bow. Maybe the model can get away with 2 blade props.

Cannon firing. I had the hoses hooked up to the wrong cannons so it was awkward at first. The aft cannons worked great. The B cannon did not. So could be the crappy bbs or the cannon mag angle. Not sure but it will need more modification or replacment. It does fire on the table..LOL on the water I think the angle is too steep or something else is going on.

Run time. Excellent with the pump going. I left the pump off and even with the large waves the model rode it out well even from taking on water.

QUIET! Yes it is very quiet. Nice stealth quality...till the pump comes on.

Pump stream. Impacts the water right where I had expect it to.

The Throttle system performed flawlessly. Range on the TX excellent. Not..one .. jitter.. Whew!

Ok here are the pics ..enjoy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Nice work she looks sleek cutting those waves well done [^]

9. Chris Easterbrook

Wow looks good Curt

10. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

very nice. could you post some pics.of the guts ty

11. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I wonder if a South bow cannon could be used as a breakwater.

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

[:)]I am going to install the receivor on/off switch in A turret. I will put an old Tennseee turret on it for now till I can get the fourth VU turret from Ralph.
    Going to need a breakwater for sure.
    Paul I think it's going too fast. I got very small props on it and small motors. Gears might be the way to go on this beast to slow her down or just go with 2 blade flat pitch props. Roma speed was cut in half when I dropped from 4 blade to 3 blade. I think the same willwork for PE. Pe will still perform awesome.

This ship is a battleship killer![}:)][^]

I can get another shot of the internals.

13. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

What sized props are on it? I ahve a pair of 3 blade props. They are 25 pitch and the smallest that Battlers carries.

14. Chris Easterbrook

you could build one out of cintra or wood.

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I believe that is what is already on it. 2 blade will work here with less surface blade area. I am surprised how well the little motors can push the PE at it's full weight. Wish I had a speed adjust resistor. This will tune it down a little.

16. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

You mean the slide resistor? When I ran one in southy it killed voltage so that if the pump was turned on the speed dropped to nothing.

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Forget that idea. Ok I will see what I have left in my prop inventory. 2 blade very flat with littel blade area will work here.

18. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Phenomenal pics of her on the water. Southy could not have taken that chop. Spectacular work captian.

19. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Ilove it that a ship this small can handle that kind of chop. That takes away that advantage the large ships had. BYE BYE IOWA.

20. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I think it would seriously hurt a Bismark. Geez I hate think of it going against the bama.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.