Prinz Eugen Build

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Battle Squadron' started by CURT, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

If those props can't knock off 4 seconds then I don't know what will.

2. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Curt

FYI

I use 1 1/4 inch 25 pitch on my PE, with 1 inch props on the outer shafts, with 1 inch drag disks. She is running 27.9 sec with this setup.

Hope this helps you some.

3. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

The props are 3/4 inch 4 blades 25 pitch running on direct drive. Hopefully it will slow it down without drag discs

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Thanks yes that helps very much. If this test doesn't work then I will have to install the dummy shafts and drag props.

[:)]

5. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I hope it does not come to that

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Hope not too.

7. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Just to let you know despite my cold, PE is going out for another speed test tomorrow. I am off tomorrow so I am sending it back out for more speed trials.

Let you now and will get more video.

Curt

8. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I hope the trial goes well.

9. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Anything to report on the PE trials?

10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

No still waiting for good weather. Sunny the last 2 days but waaayyy too windy. The ponds were covered in whitecaps.
    Now it's going to rain for 3 more days....sigh... . If it doesn't rain hard and not windy I can make an attempt Monday afternoon after my CT scan.

11. Craig

Craig Active Member

CT Scan.... those are going around.... good luck Curt.

12. ChuckR

ChuckR Active Member

Let us know the results when you get them Curt.

13. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Well it rained very very hard today. FLorida type rain.. short hard bursts of torrential rain. Waterlevels of the ponds are cresting the shores.
    Looks good for a speed test tomorrow morning before it.. rains again the afternoon.

My Battler's order is on it's way. Rick sent the order out today. I will be able to trial the new props on Roma and see how that works.

I need to get a very large drive motor for Bismarck. Princess Auto here doesn't carry them anymore.

I saw the GRAF SPEE movie last night. Not bad but with a lot of inaccuracies mainly using the USS BALTIMORE as the Graf Spee. The cruisers were good though. Still enjoyable to watch.

Curt

14. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Have you considered Lowel Briggs hobbies? he has a new web site.

http://storesense4.megawebservers.com/lowellbriggshobbies_com/StoreFront.bok

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

PE 3RD SPD TRIALS RESULTS.......

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!
    The small props with 4 blades brought the model down to 28 second speed no problem. The model was run ..again in moderate chop and brisk winds. Despite this it had no problem accellerating to top speed and the maneuverability has even improved incredibley.
    I was able to run the model head on into the wind and chop no problem. The bow wave at top speed was just cresting slightly. Going with the wind and waves the model was trimmed evenly and was no surfing bow under. The ship remained steady. Beam on it leaned a little but it turned against wave and wind with no effort whatsoever.

Fact is the model performed beyoned my own expectations. This is a extremly competitive model to fight with. The Maneuverability is unmatched. The direct drive allows the model to power into the tightest of turns no problem. I could spin the model around on it's keel axis. I was able to bring into confined shallow and weeded alcoves along the shoreline maintaining constant control and positioning.

Dangerous out at sea and more dangerous near the shore. With skill you don't need a smaller or bigger ship..this one fits just nicely.

Paul.. I think your going to be running and battling with this ship more than SODAK. It is just wayy to much fun..lol.

I managed to get video but will post them tonight after midnight my time.

Time to install the masts and lights, dummy barrels and get it finished.

Overall a very interesting project. I recommend a VU class to anyone rookie or experienced.[:)][:D][8D][}:)][^][;)]

16. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I suspect your right. Just love those Class 4 ass kickers.

17. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Yup, those PEs are nasty ships to tangle with. Dave Ranier's PE is scary with his current gun setup. Heck, his ship will turn tigher in reverse than the big battleships!

18. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

The PE also manuevered in reverse too. Geez I love this ship. Best of all I only brought my rubber boots transmitter, camera and model.. a lot less stuff than if I bring Yamato...lol.

19. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I do need to cut back the stuffing tube exiting the hull to allow a little more clearance between teh rudder edge and the prop hub. SHould be no problem to do.

20. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Excellent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.