Prinz Eugen Build

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Battle Squadron' started by CURT, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Update. Last night I stripped out the remainder of the internals leaving only the stuffing tubes, rudder posts and the Armor. I cleaned up the hull and deck last night. Cleaned up the barbettes. Trimmed down screws that were protruding too far inside the hull which cut my knuckles open several times... OUCH!!

I am waiting on key components to arrive from Paul so I can get started. I already have a layout in mind for the internals. I will set up the interior similiar to what I have done with Roma but with improvements on that setup. I am taking a break tonight but will be back at it hard tomorrow evening. I hope to complete this model before Xmas. I think I will stuff it in a Christmas stocking along with a few lumps of coal.. after all it was a WW1 ship. lol

2. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Well captain the package will be on it's way tommowow. I have some excess postage hanging around so it will go express. You should have the components by friday.

3. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

What are you using for the drive system, I got one of the BC single motors, dual shaft gearboxs, I reversed the output shafts, so that the motor will face the stern, freeing up some more room in the hull. The class 5 BC, Scharnhorst rudders cut down work perfect for this ship also.

I was thinking dual sterns, with a rear rotate haymaker. So many choices, one minute I think thats the way to go, then the next minute I think of another way, LOL.

What matters is I think she will be a very fun ship. I just need to get started on her.

This evening I just about gutted my Roma, going to make both forward guns rotates, 1 in each turret, should improve the damage I do. Allowable in MWC. She needed to be resheeted anyways after the 3 days of battling we just finished this weekend, a total of 11 sorties. I sank 4 times, but then I think just about everyone sank at least twice, except for Tims little SC, we could not hit him at all.

4. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

The Sc may be little but she sure is a fun sneakly little ship. You don't see it coming when the SC comes around. TO paraphrase the mighty Hulk Hogan " Whatcha going to do when the mighty SC comes looking for you!!"

5. djranier

Yep, I was watching the Richeleu, and Maryland, and he just came up next to me and shot me with his stern haymaker, put 24 belows into my bow in like 10 seconds. With all the other damage I took, I sank in the next couple of minutes. Why I think a stern rotate maybe a good thing.

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I am going with 2 motors 380's with gears from battler's. I prefer this setup because with the single shaft dual output there is a risk that if you disable one shaft your going to disable the other shaft as well, when you strike a rock in the shallows for example. It happened to a USS Washington using the large single motor dual output geared shaft. The model struck bottom or hit a rock. The impact dislodged or damaged one of the gears in the gear mount and it disabled both shafts. Also if the single motor dies then you can't move at all. It does offer advantages freeing up more space but then again I can place a pump between the shafts or motors and free up room that way. I have had several instances where a universal let go from the motor shaft or prop shaft on Yamato after striking bottom but I would continue to fight because the other motor was still pushing the ship. Of course being Yamato everyone just assumed I was using just being sneaky or coy with the ship, pretending I was having issues only to spring a trap but actually I could not turn well to one side and lost some speed and control but hey point is I was still able to move the model and battle.
    [B)]

7. djranier

I also have been thinking about that, I have a set of speed 400 graupners with gearboxes at 2.3 to 1, they are very small and low profile, I was thinking about trying, just have not made up my mind on how I want to do it. I got 1 1/4 in props 25 pitch, they should be just about right for her.

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Taking a rest tonight and Thursday and then going hard at it Frid , Sat and Sun. Ship should be just about completed by Monday.

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Sure send her up b'y!

10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

[:)]Captains looks like the package is on it's way containing vital compenents for me to install into the PE. I hope to receive it by Friday. I am trying to rest up for the long weekend build. With luck I can begin the superstructure by Monday and have PE ready by the follwoing weekend.

Pix will follow beginning Friday very late Fri evening.[:)]

11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Hey Captn, your package has arrived. The build commences tonight. Long live the PE.

12. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see how the build goes.

13. ChuckR

ChuckR Active Member

Your work is amazing Curt. I really love all the details.

14. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Thanks guys but honestly it's not hard to pretty up your ship.

My plan to work on PE was blown out of the water so far. House renovations intervened. I got baseboards to install tomorrow. I hope ( crossing fingers here to get at the PE sometime tomorrow.

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Ok Captains I opened up bb26 package and everything was A ok. No damage.
    I finished sanding the exterior hull of PE today. Took it outside and rinsed it with a garden hose.

The main deck had the midships edges cut off. Reason. The deck does not have contours to match the contours of the tops of the casemates. It is actually a straight edge.. well with a little curvature. It was quite clear looking at the plans and the 3D model of the Vu I was able to see this. It is confusing at first glance and an easy mistake to make when making a deck for the hull. I plan on reattaching new sides with Sintra but I ran out of Sintra and I need to get a 1/8 in large sheet. I may have to replace the current deck with a Sintra deck. Depending on how the modifications go.

The interior was laid out and I don't have a lot of room inside.

The motors I was going to use don't fit the battler's connection mounts. I am going to have to get bb26 to order me a pair of motors from BATTLERS and I am going to need to get a pair of Graupner Universals as the motor mounts will be angled to the stuffing tube. I need to do this to make clearance for the pump and Cannons.

The model was weighed with all the gear and a 6v 12 ampr battery. Unfortunatly it came in at nearly 5lbs underweight. Hmmm I could use extra ballast but that is a lot of waste. I stuffed another 6v12 ampr battery in the hull and the model came out to 16.7 lbs. That puts it a littel above the min standard weight.Ok that is useful ballast. More battery power and it gets the model to the waterline. If I can make it work I can get this beast to run it's motors on 6v 24 amps.Doubling it's power supply which will be good as it is using a large pump.

I need to get new prop shafts first though.

No pics yet as the model is not ready for that yet.

Curt

16. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Sign no work done this evening and I am out of luck for this evening too. Hopefully with luck I can get a some time to get at this this week. If not theres the weekend.

17. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

My battlers order should arrive today.

18. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Great I am awaiting the motors to get started. May work on her tonight but I am really tired.
    [V]

19. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I just received my order. I have a pair of 365 motors that just arrived

20. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Excellent. Send them up so I can get started.
    Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.