Looking For Prinz Eugen plans

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by Justin Ragucci, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Justin Ragucci likes this.
  2. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

The ship only has dual gun turrets which is why I suggested dual sterns. You could put the third gun in the upper aft turret and try to get it to hit in the same area, but a bow gun gets you more trigger pulls and could still be effective

3. Justin Ragucci

Justin Ragucci Well-Known Member

That’s the thing i don’t know how my driving will be

4. Justin Ragucci

I do have two 3.5oz bottle was going to have one for each but that setup might work I will have to see what I am going to do.

5. Kevin P.

Don't worry too much about the driving at this point, focus on building a functional ship and it will give you the opportunity to figure out the other stuff. Plan to build the ship with 3 guns, it's a big cruiser so you have plenty of weight to work with. The only difference between a 1/2 unit pump and a 1 unit pump is the small brass restrictor that goes in the outlet tube. It can take 5 minutes to swap out one restrictor for the other. Generally if you keep the stern of the cruiser pointed towards the enemy you will win the exchange, if they pursue you run away. It's good that you already have a couple 3.5 oz bottles, since we typically only battle one ship at a time you usually don't need more than one of a specific bottle size, but now you will have a spare

6. Justin Ragucci

Now as far as hardware goes should I go on battlersconncection and get the Prinz Eugen hardware kit?

7. Kevin P.

Here is a typical build sequence to help prioritize which components to purchase first. Different builders have different sequences, I think this sequence is pretty typical. Some people wait until the end to cut out the hull, I do it early so I don't get fiberglass dust all over the stuff inside that gets installed and it helps to be able to see through the sides to install the deck and figure out internal arrangements

1. Cut out the hull
    2. Install drive shafts, motor mounts, rudder post
    3. Install water channel (balsa, foam)
    4. Install Deck, barbetts
    5. Mount guns
    6. Make mounts for other things inside - pump mount, solenoids, bottle mount, battery mount
    7. make wiring connections, CO2 connections, control boards
    8. make superstructure
    9. Add finishing touches - internal armor, other minor things
    10. Sheet the boat, test it out
    So based on this, I would recommend purchasing the following things, in order (first couple at least, later ones more stream of consciousness)

1. BC hardware kit with ESC option. once you build a ship or two you can probably piece this stuff out, but to start the hardware kit will give you what you need
    2. 1/4" x 3" or 4" balsa wood sheets for water channel
    3. BC deck kit - similarly this can be made on our own in the future, deck kit is good for starting out
    4. 1 large pump (the black one)
    5. 3x 1 unit (50 rd) straight magazine guns
    6. 3x solenoids
    7. Multi C control board (integrated pump and gun board, with power distribution

There are a lot more things you will need once you get the main structure of the boat together (hull cut, shafts and motor mounts, water channel, deck), but it would be better to go over that stuff once the build has progressed

8. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

+1 on this. I skinned my boat before getting the guns, wiring etc. mounted and it was a MISTAKE. took twice as long to do everything because I could not see inside the hull.
    in the future, the windows will be wide open until it is time to take the boat out on a shakedown.

9. Justin Ragucci

Now a quick question as far as the cannons go should I get the 3 unit cannon kit or 3 1 unit cannon kits?

10. Kevin P.

Just the guns. You will need hose and fittings but you can piece that one out when the time comes. The gun kit comes with poppet valves, which you won’t use (use solenoids instead)

11. Justin Ragucci

Yeah I have the solenoids already I bought a few of them for the Cleveland so I have plenty for the two ships. But I do need the cannon kits. And would the blue large bilge pump work for the Prinz or should I get the black one?

12. Kevin P.

Yes the blue one is fine if you have it already, if you are buying new I would recommend the black one. For guns just get 50 rd straight magazine cannons

13. Justin Ragucci

Ok and as far as setup on guns should I do a dual stern gun with a stern side mount or a dual stern gun with a bow side mount? Because I can’t do a triple stern considering the ships guns are only dual guns

14. Kevin P.

no side mounts on a cruiser. dual stern guns in the aft turret, one bow gun in the upper bow turret that is angled 15 degrees off centerline and given some down angle (as much as you can and still clear the deck). You still have a lot of building to go before you get to gun placement

15. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Just ensure that nothing you assemble is only able to be disassembled if the sides are open. Make everything removable via the top. Ive made that mistake and had to go back and rip it something out and rebuild it another way.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  16. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

I've not had many boats that I laid out while the skins were off. But I haven't really seen much difference. I am weird however.

17. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

yeah, valid point. I only wanted the windows open so I could see what I was doing, which is pretty important when you're bending mag tubes and mounting stuff

18. HorribleHarry

HorribleHarry Member

PE is a huge ship with more hull area than most class 4 and even some class 5 battleships and battlecruisers. Being long, narrow and single ruddered turning is not its forte. So you will get shot up from time to time. Consider putting extensive foam or featherlite shelves in the bow and stern to localize water towards the center of the boat, and give it healthy bilge keels, (they tend to roll) build the super out of light materials! I would suggest doing a 50 and a 75 round cannon in the Dora turret and a full 1 unit pump ... until you get comfortable with it’s handling etc. if you don’t take much damage then you will probably be safe with a half unit restrictor and triple sterns. Bow guns are inaccurate and tend to lead to rams. Being a big ship use a good 550 or speed 600 motor and a large pump... you have the room and bigger pumps are almost always not overkill. I hear good things about the new BC pump.
    My 2 pennies.
    HH

19. Justin Ragucci

Any input is welcome since I am new to this and like getting all the different ideas. Thank you for your input HH I will consider it.

Justin

20. HorribleHarry

HorribleHarry Member