profile morskie 1:200 plans: light cruiser Duca D'Aosta

Discussion in 'Product Review' started by GregMcFadden, May 18, 2014.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

First off, why 1:200. Scaling plans takes a negligable amount of time for me so if it saves me 5 bucks I will save the 5 bucks. Doubly so considering my past experience with morskie plans, where they have to be distorted/fixed in the hull sections anyways. With that out of the way, the plans for superstructure are generally good. I do not have a ton of research material to compare them to, but from what I have seen, they are plenty good enough.
    As to why, I don't know what caugth my eye, probably the desire to kit something up as the modivation arises, something different. She is not particularly attractive in any combat format, no torpedo's, single rudder, long, fast, skinny. Minimal superstructure, which is great for a cruiser where weight matters. For fast gun (IRC) where class2 can split cannons (assuming that rule has not changed) a set of lightweight quads (two twin turrets) aft with a half unit pump woul be a truly nasty suprise although she lacks any staying power. Maybe go so far as to have quad half unit spurts but that would only be fun once or twice. I may not ever finish the kit if something else better is brought to my attention/found by me. (or if I get the time to build my Mackensen kit that is sitting in a box)
    I have not yet had time to verify consistency of all of the hull sections (see the littorio plans for more details on that) on this set but the few I have spot checked are consistent. Unfortunatly, consistent does not mean correct. The OAL is correct to 144 scale). on a small cruiser, that is a significant amount of volume if that error propagates over the entire length. I will only know once the hull is modeled in cad if the beam scaling needs to be uniformly increased by 2.8% or not. We will see. There is no good way to check the depth dimension on the plans from the general overall dimensions listed for the ship on the plans.

All in all, these plans right now get the same grade as the littorio plans. Tolerably Acceptable to Tolerably good considering availabiity of alternatives.

-Greg

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Just to ask the question, why not order them in 1:144 from PM and see how those measure up? :)

3. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

He uses a vector format and scales them to any scale he needs then spits out pdf. (verified in the littorio where I got plans in several different scales) There would be no change. That and given the trouble that getting him to send the file in a timely manner, I really hesitate to order from him unless necessary, and I minimize my financial exposure when I do.