Profile Morskie

Discussion in 'General' started by Bob Pottle, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Has anyone had recent dealings with Profile Morskie? I need to order some plans, including the Dutch Java Class light cruisers, but was a bit put off by dealing with PM when I bought the Frobisher plans a few years ago. It took a long time to get them after it was claimed a first set had been shipped (which never arrived).

2. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

I had the same issue last two times (last time was a year ago), and this was for a PDF that just needed to be emailed...

3. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Dig into this page and you'll find the Java's builder drawings.

http://www.gahetna.nl/collectie/arc...0.c04:5.c05:3.#c01:0.c02:1.c03:20.c04:5.c05:3.

4. Bob Pottle

Thanks Steve! Wish I could read Dutch. I found the deck and profile plans but only 3 cross-sections so far. I need at least 12 and will modify them to make the hull deeper and get the extra displacement allowed for Class 2.
    (I did that for Krasni Krim/Profintern, which is 3/8" deeper than scale.)

5. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

I think I have the full set for Java at home on my computer. I'll check when I get home @Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle likes this.
  6. SteveT44

Right click and Google translate.

This is the page you want. Four drawings with complete profile and frame cross sections. There's a jpg download link but that is low res. If you use their tool to go to full screen on each pic, you can screen grab a higher res image.

http://www.gahetna.nl/collectie/archief/inventaris/gahetnascans/eadid/4.MST/open/c01:0.c02:1.c03:20.c04:5./nodes/YTo4OntpOjA7czo2OiJjMDE6MC4iO2k6MTtzOjY6ImMwMTowLiI7aToyO3M6MTI6ImMwMTowLmMwMjoxLiI7aTozO3M6MTI6ImMwMTowLmMwMjoxLiI7aTo0O3M6MTk6ImMwMTowLmMwMjoxLmMwMzoyMC4iO2k6NTtzOjE5OiJjMDE6MC5jMDI6MS5jMDM6MjAuIjtpOjY7czoyNToiYzAxOjAuYzAyOjEuYzAzOjIwLmMwNDo1LiI7aTo3O3M6MjU6ImMwMTowLmMwMjoxLmMwMzoyMC5jMDQ6NS4iO30=/inventarisnr/3535/level/file

[​IMG]

7. Bob Pottle

I'd love a copy!

8. Bob Pottle

Thanks Steve.

9. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Sent a PM.

10. SteveT44

Happy to help. If you ever get around to producing Java hulls, I'd be interested. She's the shortest 2.5 unit CL and with that prop arrangement and turrets everywhere, she could be a real little terror.

[​IMG]

absolutek likes this.
  11. Bob Pottle

I plan to produce a Java hull mold after the Hawkins Class. I think Java has the best combat potential of all the 2.5 unit CLs.

buttsakauf likes this.
  12. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Hey Bob, How big is she??
    Nikki

13. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Do you intend to include the armor belt? Makes for good stringers!

14. SteveT44

I'd like to see scribe lines for frame locations. Would remove an area of concern that many new builders seem to have.

15. Bob Pottle

42.5" loa, 4.4" beam, 7.6 lbs. but is allowed a bonus of 10% or 1 lb., whichever is greater. I'll deepen the hull slightly to get the max. possible 'legal' weight, like I did for the Profintern plug I gave to Strike Models.

Sumatra/Java is the smallest CL with 2.5 units and has 3 shafts so can be run on the center one and have drag props on the others.

16. Bob Pottle

No. Like the belt on the Hawkins Class it's about half the thickness of the balsa so not worth the trouble. I only include armour belts on capital ship hulls because they're much thicker and easier to make on the plug. (See my Vanguard hull formerly sold by Strike Models - it has the main thickness belt amidships and the smaller ones running toward bow and stern. The photo is still on the Strike Models site.)

I don't know if the belt on Java is thick enough to warrant a 'legal' stringer. Opinions?

The only reason I've had 1/8" stringers on my cruiser hulls (Ibuki, Suffolk, Canarias) is that they all had bulges. The Hawkins Class was bulged so it gets a stringer too.

17. Bob Pottle

Do you mean rib locations Steve? I woudn't scribe rib positions because I've seen people arrange the ribs differently and/or select different rib widths on the same type of hull.

18. jcollins

jcollins Active Member

One word of warning, double check the measurements from page to page. I am currently working on drawing the hood super structure for 3d printing from a set of their plans. I printed the stacks and the bases that I drew from the plans and they do not fit together, the bases were 4 mm shorter than they needed to be.

19. Bob Pottle

Thanks for the heads up. I've measured the hull cross sections, deck plan and hull side view; they were exactly 1/144 scale and match.

I'll be sure to check the measurements of the superstructure components when at that stage of construction.

20. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

As per the rules: “a. No stringers shall be used unless the shape of the hull dictates. Hull features that dictate the use of a stringer are: bulges, casement decks, casemate guns, knuckles, or armor belts. The stringer may not extend more than one rib beyond where that hull feature is prominent.”

It’s an armor belt. Therefore it is dictated it is legal to model. It would protrude .02” out from the hull. The skin/balsa is .032”. It is rather thin but readily apparent none the less. Personally, I would model it. But I can see the lack of appeal for most.