Profintern Build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Bob Pottle, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

You got it from me, probably in 2009. The gelcoat and fiberglass forecastle deck and quarterdeck are installed on mine. The fit is too tight over the dual rudder linkage because of the deck thickness so I've been carefully dremelling the underside of the deck via the rudder access hatch to get the rudders moving freely. I hope to get the large center deck section installed by Friday AM and will post some photos then.

2. Bob Pottle

The deck sections made for Profintern in late 2015 are finally installed. (For the technique used see this week's posts on Indefatigable's deck installation):

IMG_2726.JPG

The amidships deck section appears recessed into the hull because of the splinter screens and gun sponsons that were incorporated into the hull mold. At the left a vertical wall of fiberglass will be added to fill the gap between forecastle and main deck.

The Profintern hull Strike Models sells has the complete sponsons. This hull is from the original plug and mold I commissioned from Ralph Coles , in which there was a major error in sponson depth on the hull sides. (I missed the error when I inspected the plug before molding.) On this hull I cut off the offending lower parts of the sponsons and glassed the hull sides flat. Next I have to make a balsa mold under each sponson's splinter screen and mold the correct sponson supports. I corrected the sponson errors on Ralph's plug and made a more accurate bow shape before donating it to Strike, so the Strike hulls are more accurate (other than me having deepened them 3/8" as allowed by ICWCC rules).

IMG_2728.JPG

The stern BB cannons will go in the curved sections of the aft superstructure which were main armament casemates.

IMG_2727.JPG

Deck installation completed today. Now to mold the 4 sponson supports and the wall between main and forecastle decks.

IMG_2729.JPG

Attached Files:

SteveT44 and Beaver like this.
  3. Bob Pottle

The deck/hull seams inside the hull were reinforced with light fiberglass matt yesterday. Next I have to mold the wall from main to forecastle deck and finally, mold the small supports under the 4 main armament sponsons. Should be finished in a week.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018