Project Scharnhorst

Discussion in 'General' started by Scharnhorst56, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Scharnhorst56

Scharnhorst56 Active Member

I am a new member of Model Warship Combat. I emailed the Mid-Atlantic Battle Group, and someone responded. He said that a good ship for me would be the DKM Scharnhorst, and he answered questions for me and gave me advice. I will buy everything except the cannon system (guns) and superstructure from Battlers Connection, once I have enought money. The person who emailed me gave me lots of advice, as previously stated, but I decided to ask you guys for more helpful advice, as this will be my first ship. Construction will probably not start until Summer 2016.
    Thanks!
    -Jackson

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

MABG, so you're planning to go big-gun then?

3. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Go to a battle and talk to the battlers, much better than email or phone. If they have no battles then that should look for a club that does have battles.
    This hobby is very build intensive, and help while building is very important, ergo a club that has regular build sessions.

You are about 1.5 hours away from Maryland so you have a couple of options, I would contact the guys in Annapolis, MD.

4. Scharnhorst56

I am going big gun, but I can't really go to any battles because they aren't going to do anything until they find a definite source of cannons. The guy who contacted me said that he is working on some computerized thing that can mass produce big gun cannons. We've already had an extensive chat on this.
    -Jackson

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  5. Scharnhorst56

Dumb Question of the Day:
    Have any of you guys built a big gun DKM Scharnhorst, or her sister, the DKM Gneisenau? If so, could you give me some advice (even though construction probably won't start until Summer 2016) on building the Scharnhorst?
    -Jackson

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  6. Scharnhorst56

I'm probably not going to need this for a while, but just to plan ahead, does anyone know a good radio/controller and transmitter system? Thanks!
    -Jackson

7. Scharnhorst56

Major Update:
    John (jch72) will give me a DKM Scharnhorst hull from Strike Models! This is a big step forward for me, and construction will start way earlier than expected. Best of all, it's for free. Construction is slated to start in mid-July, 2015(if I have time) thus opening Bon Air Shipyards of the Bon Air, VA-based Bon Air Shipbuilding, inc. Expect this thread to move over to the Warship Builds section on June 30th!

8. NickMyers

Not sure who you talked to, so whoever it is, please don't be offended...

The ugly truth in the realm of big-gun is that people have been trying to come up with an easier and less costly way to build their guns for years and always seem to be about to turn the corner. But as you've seen, there isnt a steady source of them on the market. That says something to me. Were I you, I would keep my mind open to playing fast gun if big gun cant deliver guns by the time you have the money.

9. Scharnhorst56

Ok, thanks for the advice!

10. Scharnhorst56

Oh yeah, he also said that there will probably be a retailer in Virginia that will sell more 'traditional' cannons soon.

11. NickMyers

Can you cut down the size of your sig? Its excessive.

12. Scharnhorst56

He actually sent me a video of it. It's pretty interesting, and it looks like he will get it done by next spring!;););)

13. Scharnhorst56

14. Scharnhorst56

Does anybody have any good radios/controllers or transmitters for Model Warship Combat? I was thinking about ripping the transmitter out of an RC Car(DISCLAIMER: I am am new with building Model Warships, so expect more stupid ideas in the future!) and sticking it into the Scharnhorst. Something tells me that it's a bad idea, but I decided to check with the 'experts', before making any decisions.

15. Scharnhorst56

I have a question: in big-gun is it better to have only one pump, or more than one pump?

16. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

In Big Gun, I believe they measure gallons per minute, not the amount of pumps. The GPM limit is easily handled by one pump, so there shouldn't be a need for two.
    Good luck with the Scharnhorst. ;)

17. Scharnhorst56

Thanks!!! Your Suffren looks really good! I can't wait to see it completed!;););):):):):woot::woot::woot:

Beaver likes this.
  18. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Thanks! She should be battle ready by July, so stay tuned. :)

19. Scharnhorst56

Oh I will!

20. Scharnhorst56

Does anyone have any good ideas on good radios/controllers and transmitters?