Project Scharnhorst

Discussion in 'General' started by Scharnhorst56, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Scharnhorst56

Scharnhorst56 Active Member

Thank you! I will build the Scharnhorst, and if it doesn't work out, I'll sell it. Put I'll play to my ship's avantages, so hopefully it'll work out!

2. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Definitely play to your ships advantages. Will keep you from getting sunk. ;) Here is some recommended reading on tactics.
    The Commodore's Tactics

3. Scharnhorst56

Thanks! If the Scharnhorst doesn't work out, what ship should I build next? I'm thinking about the Queen Elizabeth class as a Plan B. Does anyone agree with this?

4. Beaver

What do you mean by "doesn't work out". :)

5. Scharnhorst56

If it isn't a good ship for me (if it doesn't battle well, too slow).;)

6. Beaver

I would build it and battle it till I was effective with it before I moved on to anything else.

Tugboat and Rob Wood like this.
  7. Scharnhorst56

Ok, thanks!

8. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

Speed is only one characteristic of a fighting ship. You have to look at the whole package: displacement, armament, armor, turning ability, speed, pumps - even size. (Will it fit in your vehicle, and in your workspace? Can you carry, launch and retrieve it, etc.?)

Most of us who have been doing this for a while have a fleet of ships. Different ships for different occasions, or just for different moods. I agree 100% with Beaver: You've picked a ship with many good qualities. Learn to fight it effectively, and once you have it (and your skills) dialed in, pick another to build, or not.

Rob

9. Scharnhorst56

:)Ok, thanks! I will build the Scharnhorst, and probably in the years after she is completed, build more ships.:)

10. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

You will be well suited to choose a next ship based on what you learn from battling your first one. Get the first one built and battled and the next one will come naturally ;)

Rob Wood likes this.
  11. Scharnhorst56

Ok, thanks for the advice!:)

12. Scharnhorst56

I have heard of Ralph Coles before. Is he a one-man operation, or a company?

13. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

He is a gentleman in Canada who makes some very nice fibreglass hulls and some turrets during the warmer months.

Tugboat likes this.
  14. Scharnhorst56

15. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

The trick to gauging how well-suited you are for this hobby is to honestly ask yourself - often - this question:

Am I having fun?

I will say, from my own experience, and from the experiences of friends I've made over the years, that you don't truly begin having real fun until you have a ship you know like the back of your hand, and when you decide to battle it, it performs exactly as you wish it to. It's somewhat like car or airplane racing: When you are no longer worried about whether the machinery will operate efficiently for the entire period, you can concentrate 100% on the game: Beating the other guy. That's where the real fun is in this hobby.

Some guys never have fun, because they don't stick with a ship long enough to become friends with it. They jump from ship to ship, and blame their lack of fun on the ship, instead of focusing on that one ship until they master it.

And here's another bit of truth: It doesn't matter what the ship is. I know guys who love running a cargo ship; others love destroyers; others love heavy cruisers, others light cruisers, submarines, even aircraft carriers. Some won't run anything but an Iowa-class battleship. What matters is that you like the ship. The Scharnhorst is awesome, and you obviously like it. Now build it and learn to have fun with it.

Rob

16. Scharnhorst56

Thanks! The Scharnhorst is my favorite German ship, and it has a lot of potential. My favorite ship of all time, however, for some reason is the USS Nevada. I have no idea why, I just like it.

17. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

The big Scharnhorst can be a very fun ship indeed. It can be made to turn well and has various options for cannon layouts.

In IRCWCC format, it can be a triple stern ship with a sidemount ... a good defensive aggressive layout in that the ship is pointing away from the target when using the triple sterns for a quick get away when needed.
    It can also have a three side mount cannons layout for the hug and slug type of battling. Personally, my favorite cannon layout. Heh. With 5.5 units, the split is two 50 round cannons and a 75 round cannon along with two pumps for better survivability (which can be needed when slugging with other ships).

The big ship is even better in the Treaty format which not only uses a scaled speed chart for the ships (and the Sharnhorst was a fast ship!) but allows one unit to be split into two half units and added to 50 round cannons. Effectively, that turns the Sharnhorst into a three 75 round cannon sidemount ship with one pump that has the speed and turning to hunt down other ships ... much like the full size ship's role as a raider. :)

Just remember that it is a big ship that is going to take time and money to build. Get help and advice every step, plan your build in stages, and you will have a beautiful ship. :)

Scharnhorst56 and Wmemlo like this.
  18. Scharnhorst56

Thank you for the advice! I will ask for help a lot, and try to make her elegant looking. I want to make her look like she did in her final year, which was 1943. How do you guys make the camouflage?
    The camouflage:
    [​IMG]

19. Wmemlo

Wmemlo Member

Has that setup met with a lot of success? I considered trying something along those lines when I get around to giving my Scharnhorst a thorough refit.

20. Scharnhorst56

Today, I will be getting the Scharnhorst hull that jch72 (John) offered me earlier in the month. I will be creating a build thread on the Scharney today, as well.

Wmemlo likes this.