Projects slow down

Discussion in 'Atlantic Radio Control Club' started by CURT, Oct 29, 2012.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Well things have slowed down here in the yards. My mother who is 90 years old, deaf, and partially blind suffered a heart attack brought about by pneumonia that developed after she had the flu shot. She just got over chest cold last week. She 's been moved to a ward now and is currently recovering. Her heart is damaged and she is till battling the pneomonia. Also my Mother in law is admitted to the hospital for her heart as well so we are dealing with the situation as best as possible. With that we have been on daily and nightly and overnight vigils for my Mom and are just trying to figure out how to handle this for the next couple of weeks. So for now all activity in the yard is put on hold till the situation improves.

Curt

2. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear about your mother and mother in law. My prayers for a speedy recovery.

3. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Update. My Mother finally made it back home. The family is going through an adjustment of her care now that she is home. Were scheduling ourselves to be there to help move her when needed. She is still weak but she is glad to be back home. Life won't be the same from here on in and I don't know when I can get back to the shipyard but we will take it one day at a time.

4. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Glad to hear she is back with loved ones! Family always comes first:) I have given several potential shipyard days to give my wife some relief from our newborn. My 80+ year old Grandmother was hit hard by Alzheimer's when I was in high school and I had to help my Mom (who contracted polio as a kid) with her. A 17 year old kid shouldn't have to help his Grandmother use the bathroom or shower but that is what you do in love. It is a burden and a joy:) I wish you all the best and my thoughts/prayers are with you.

5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Thank you Mike.

6. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I am glad to hear your mother is out the hospital and is now home.

7. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Thanks Paul. I was at the shipyard for an hour or so getting it tidied up and reaquainting myself with the equipment and the NC. Last work I did I was trying to finish the skegs. They need more sanding . I hope I can find the time to get that done.

8. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Hi Curt,
    I'm sorry to hear about your mom's health problems. We're at that stage of life when our parents are getting ill or injured and need our care. Dad fell and broke his neck (C1&2) on Oct. 7, the day after his 92nd birthday. Two days before he was hoofing it around Arlington National Cemetery as part of the final reunion of the First Special Service Force (aka Devils Brigade).
    Fortunately Dad's in very good physical and mental condition for his age and had the presence of mind to stay still after he felt his neck vertebrae snap. He didn't have any neurological damage but is coping with a rigid neck brace for the next 3+ months. He's a tough old guy and last week was able to resume weekly socials with vets from the WWII, Korean, Balkan and Afghanistan conflicts.
    Hope your mom's condition stabilizes soon.
    Bob
    PS: Say hi to Tom C. for me if he's still in Nfld.

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Thanks Bob. Sorry to hear about your Dad's injury. He is in amazing shape to be able to cope with that kind of injury.

Tom is doing very well. He is renovating his house and working both as a student and worker full time. He is also recently engaged. Yep the little kid with the high pitch squeaky voice is very tall and now engaged. He also has a nearly full grown Newfoundland Dog. This one is known as the Lanceier type as it has a Full black head and spotted black and white coat over the body and legs. .

He has a Mustang that he races on Bell Island here and a smaller car for city driving. His Nagato and freighter is here .The internals have been stripped. He wants to remove the drive shafts and install shorter shafts. His Iowa has been sitting on hold for a long time now. He was working on Konig and that project has stopped as well till he catches up with his house renovations.

I had a very good summer, the best in years for running the models. Bismarck and Missouri saw the most sail time followed by Yamato and Roma. Hood is always asked about when I have Bismarck around so I may have to get one so it can be there with Bismarck at the pond. Btw I saw the Terror hull or what's left of it. Just a shell of itself with broken ribs.

I have a check up next week for my cancer. Reaching the 4 year remission mark on this second one. I had issues with my right shoulder that dropped an inch and was causing pain and reduced movement in my right arm but that is finally clearing up after a 7 month hiatus from physical exercise.

I like to get my British units built which I have Rodney and Prince of Wales. A Hood would complete the trio nicely.

Any new projects for you Bob?

10. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

NATS will be in NY this year.July 15th to 19th. looking to get the espana finished

11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I am interested in going to Nats 2013. I would like to play as allie this time though. However I don't have a small allied ship. If I go axis I have konig, or VDT or VU to choose from, or even a cruiser such as Graf Spee. I prefer to fly down and take a small ship like the VU on board. Maybe I could flag it as a allie ship. Wife wants to go on a cruise so a 5 day cruise followe by a week of Nats would be ideal.

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I met up with a group of people who get together once a week to work on projects for hobbies. I brought Bismarck equipped, NC and it's components , the 2 VUs to show a uncut and cut out hull and 2 large photo boards of rc combat. It was a great session and talked about event setups. Ideas were discussed . Next meeting I will bring the BB demo plexiglass firing box and Yamato and DVDs of RC combat.

13. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I hope to get back on the projects particularly the NC again once the holidays are over. Had to make some changes in life to work with the new situation regarding my mom and her home care but I am very anxious to get back at building again.

14. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Things are beginning to pick up again. I swapped out my Spectrum radio in the Mo with the Hobby King radio in Yamato. Yamato needs the extra channels to operate all guns and systems whereas the Mo only needs Throttle , rudder and pump control for now till I can get a cannon system installed.

I am making repairs to 2 very large cracks in the stbd hull of Yamato this came about from transport in the car packing it in with 2 other battleships is a tight fit. So this year I will just take 2 battleships to the pond in the car at a time.

I will be increasing the rudder size on Roma as it is currently too small and I will be switching out the props to get a little more speed out of it. It will never see combat so a little extra speed is not going to hurt it.