Projects

Discussion in 'Midwest Naval Combat Club' started by rcengr, Apr 15, 2020.

1. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Since we are not meeting weekly, I thought I would share couple of my on-going projects. Normally I like to work on my projects in secret and only reveal them when complete. These extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures, so let the de-classification begin.

These are not all combat projects, but I hope you enjoy them.

2. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

First, the new toy/tool. In February I bought a 45 watt laser cutter with a 20"x12" bed. I've been learning how to use it and building accessories like hold-downs.

muse 1.JPG

muse 2.JPG

The first item cut.
    MNCC.JPG

My first new kit design, the liberty ship. I've always been unhappy with the liberty ship plans I posted in the resource section. The plans were done early in my design experience and were not as good as my later kits. Now I can offer a kit that assembles much easier. liberty 1.JPG

WillCover, NickMyers, Xanthar and 4 others like this.
  3. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Here's a project I finished yesterday. After over 4 years of using a trashcan liner taped over the top to keep the heat in, I finally built a top for my 3D printer.

3d printer.JPG

Now I need to replace the cardboard door. I'm out of acrylic so that may take a while.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    Nate G, WillCover and Beaver like this.
  4. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

This the year for the overhaul of my Tugster rescue tug. Some of the work planned:
    - Clean up and repaint
    - Replace ESCs
    - Rework rudder linkage
    - Upgrade lights
    - Replace siren
    - Add new capability

Top ready for new paint
    tugster 1.JPG

Top in primer. My new paint arrives in the mail on April 17th. The base of its new capability is mocked up on the stern.
    tugster 3.JPG

The bottom in its present state. The paint is in a very rough and dirty. New "tires" have been laser cut and are ready for installation. Now I can get rid of the cheesy pipe insulation.
    tugster 2.JPG

Beaver likes this.
  5. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

The BIG project. A 48" Dumas PT boat. This has been languishing in my shop for over two years, so first I hung up the plans for motivation.

pt plans.JPG
    Next I cleaned up and sanded the hull. The hull was also trimmed along the gunwale to its final shape.

pt hull bare.JPG

6. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

The motor mounts for the PT boat arrived yesterday.
    pt motors.JPG

Nate G and rcaircraftnut like this.
  7. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

8. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

I mocked up the lettering for the side of Tugster today. Hopefully the weather will be nice enough this weekend to start painting. The camo pattern was from the material I'm using for the mask and was not intentional. It does look very interesting though and kinda matches the military purpose of the boat.

Tugster 4.JPG

9. kgaigalas

kgaigalas Well-Known Member

I remember this tug from way back.
    What do you need to make electronic sounds
    As I remember you had a police siren

10. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

I had an electronic siren, a Velman kit I think, but I fried it last year. So I'm going to fully digital sound with a DFPlayer Mini sound module, about $4ea. You put the sound clip of what ever you want to hear on a micro SD card. The sound module has a built in amplifier but I opted to add a 2 watt amplifier.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

rcaircraftnut and kgaigalas like this.
  11. Caractacus Patt

Caractacus Patt Member

Is that a Springer Tug?

12. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

13. pba

pba Active Member

14. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

There's a video of that tug positioning a foam PE to be destroyed. Lol. So yeah I remember this tug. Haha.

15. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

It was a good day for painting today. The top of the Tugster is done and the bottom is ready for primer.

Tugster 5.JPG

rcaircraftnut and Beaver like this.
  16. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

One of my problems is that I'm easily distracted by new projects and it really impacts my on-going projects. So last week I was browsing the HNSA.org site for battleship plans and I found a new plan for the ARS-5, USS Diver, a salvage ship. At 18" in 144 scale it's pretty small, but it not only has twin props, it has twin rudders. Now my favorite convoy ship to run is the Golo. It's a small French cargo vessel with twin props and a single rudder. Because it is so small, the class 1 rudder is huge in comparison to the boat and it turns on a dime. The thought of a ship with even more rudder area got me excited. So I've spent my evenings for the last week drawing up the Diver.

Diver 1.JPG

The Diver compared to the Golo. The main compartment is about the same size and I'll end up using the same motor mount, pump, and battery mount that I use in the Golo. The stern of the Diver has less vertical area, so I designed a geared rudder system to fit. At least it all fits on the CAD drawing. The Diver needs to come in at around 2 lbs. The Golo is 2.5 lbs, but it also has almost 8 oz of ballast in it.

diver and golo.JPG

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  17. rcaircraftnut

Seems to me these both would be the correct size to 3d print the hulls with windows already cut out. I really need to learn to use CAD. Lol.

18. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

I will be 3D printing a lot of the parts for this ship, including the bow and stern hard area. You could print the ribs, but for me it was easier to cut out of wood.

19. rcaircraftnut

Didn't you recently acquire a Lazer cutter? Or was it a CNC router? I have too many friends doing similar projects. Lol.

20. rcaircraftnut

Matter of fact I have the STL files you made for the Golo just not the wood parts. I am not opposed to cutting them out, I am however opposed to ordering plywood in full sheets as the delivery is killer and the closest place to get decent wood to me is Memphis TN or Dallas tx. Both are around 4.5 hrs one way. So printed frame parts are just more cost and time effective for me personally. Cost of living in the country. Lol.