Projects

Discussion in 'Midwest Naval Combat Club' started by rcengr, Apr 15, 2020.

1. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

The beauty shots. I like it when I get the superstructure done because looking at it motivates me to work on the ship.

diver 7.JPG

diver 8.JPG

Selley, Nibbles1, Panzer and 4 others like this.
  2. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

View attachment 22398 [/QUOTE]

That thing is so cute, I'd put on my begging face if I didn't already have an LST that I'll never use.

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I like how it has a water channel, so it's good for Big Gun too. I gotta get me a couple of these.

BTW, totally off-topic but did you know that the 1902 windjammer Preussen is over 35" long in 1:144 scale? And in 1:96 scale it just barely fits on my 3d print bed. Just a random thought I had while stuck inside....
    Preussen CAD.png

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  4. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Mark.
    How much are those MNCC signs. Ill take one :)
    Nikki

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  5. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

For you Nikki it's $50 shipped. Or free if you show up at a battle.

NASAAN101 likes this.
  6. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Just when things are going well, Murphy happens. Wednesday I was printing a new part for the Diver. When I checked on it, there was 2/3 of a perfect part and a rats nest of filament above that. Strangely, the print head was in the middle of the printer and had not returned to 0,0. I was trying to figure out what happened when I looked down and saw one of the drive pulleys on the floor. So it was a hard break, but the first I've had in over 4 years. I figure I've gone through at least 20 kg of filament, so that's not bad. While I had it torn apart I cleaned it up, oiled the bearings, cleaned the filters, blew dust out of the electronics, and tightened the belts. Since I had to take the sides off, I also cut a new front side and finally replaced my cardboard door.

The offending part returned to its rightful place

printer 3.JPG

The new door

printer 1.JPG

Opposite side showing the power supply.

printer 2.JPG

7. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

After gathering some worms for fishing, I needed to make some air holes in the container. The practical thing to do would have been to grab a drill and put a few holes in the lid. But it occurred to me that my new toy could drill holes so small that not only would the worms not escape, but even the dirt would not spill out. So here it is, 252 holes of 0.5mm (~0.02") or the equivalent of about six 1/8" holes. Maybe slightly over-engineered, but the worms were quite happy.

worm  1.JPG worm 2.JPG

Beaver likes this.
  8. NASAAN101

Mark.
    How wide and tall are the MNCC signs?? And how thin are they??
    Nikki

9. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

I cut the sign on 1/8" ply. They are about 5" x 4", but I can make them any size.

10. Nate G

Nate G Well-Known Member

Just found this thread.
    Wow! love the work. You, sir, have some skills.Fun to see.
    I, too, enjoy my Golo which was my intro to your gear. such a nice kit to build.
    The combo of 3D printing and the laser cut wood is really nice in the new projects. Might have to get one for next year. I have too many projects half done myself.

Enjoy the new Toys, errrr, Tools.

11. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Making progress on the Diver. All the internals are in and mounted. I still need to complete the wiring. All up weight at this point is 20.7 ounces. With a calculated displacement of 32 ounces, I have plenty of weight to complete the sheeting and add the internal armor.

Diver 9.JPG

3/4" props. A little clearance needed to be sanded in the bottom. All of the wood has been sealed with epoxy.

Diver 11.JPG

Battery, pump, drive motors, electronics, rudder servo with chain drive and geared rudders. This is the tightest rudder servo install I have ever done. The servo only fits in from the front and I had to design a two piece mount to lock it down.

Diver 10.JPG

Selley, Panzer, Nate G and 2 others like this.
  12. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

A couple more shots with components removed to show the mounts.

diver 12.JPG

Using all of the vertical space. With a 3D drawing it is possible to get the motor to shaft alignment near perfect. This also shows my preferred shaft arrangement for small boats. I start with 1/16" stainless steel wire and add about 1" 0f 1/8" OD x 1/16" ID SS tube. The wire and tube are assembled with retaining compound. This all fits into a 1/8" ID brass tube. A 1/8" x 1/16" nylon tube is added inside the brass tube to make sure the wire drive stays centered. 1/16" Clippard tubing connects the prop shaft to the motor shaft.

diver 13.JPG

I moved the rudder servo back and forth until I could get to the front mount screw through the front hatch and the servo horn screw through the rear hatch. The partial circle in the sub-deck is to clear the deck doubler, not for access to the servo mount.

diver 14.JPG

13. NASAAN101

Mark,
    What's the biggest size sign you do?? Is 12inch high by 10inches why two big??
    Nikki

14. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

My size limit is 20" x 12". However, doing a piece that big would take like 1 1/2 hours, so I'll stick to smaller stuff.

15. NASAAN101

Mark this would go on a bigger piece of wood..

16. NASAAN101

Hey mark.
    I Found a 12inch by 12inch by 1inch wood round..
    Nikki

17. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

That's going to be too heavy for the superstructure of your Le Terrible.

NickMyers likes this.
  18. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

I took advantage of the nice weather yesterday and sheeted the Diver. All up weight is now 22.8 oz. I put it in a Rubbermaid tub to check how it floated. It required 9.3 oz of ballast to get it to the waterline, so the displacement is right on target. It was a little tippy, which is what I expected from a flat bottomed ship. I'll probably put the ballast under the keel for maximum stability.

diver 16.JPG

diver 15.JPG

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    NickMyers, Beaver and Litch42f like this.
  19. NASAAN101

I'm not talking about it for the superstructure. I'm talking about it for the MNCC wood sign :)
    Nikki

20. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

I may have known that ;).