Propeller course

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by GregMcFadden, Mar 13, 2009.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Weren't you thinking about casting props at one point?

3. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I gave up on that due to the complexity of the tooling I would have to create (and lack of vacuum chamber for degassing). I had also considered making a small injection molding machine to make props out of plastic, but alas, time...

4. jimmybeekeeper

jimmybeekeeper Active Member

i know this is an old thread about casting props but it can be done without alll the stuff you were thinking i suggest you look at how rings are made first a wax version is made by hand then a plaster block is formed about it the plaster is then cut in half and the wax removed now you have a mold. the mold has 2 holes it could be more one entry one exit you put the mold together and attatch it to a wheel that spins with a trough at the center you pour wax into the center that flows to the mold filling it now you have a piece made of wax again take that out and again make a plaster block i didnt mention that the wax item just made has stems now from the holes in the wax mold these protrude slightly from the mold you now put the new one piece mold full of wax into an oven and burn out the wax next while still hot you fill the mold with molten metal or plastic. when cool you put the plaster mold in a pan of water to soften and break it off you now have a copy of what you made in wax and a mold to make more
    you can also make trees of the items your casting in one mold so say you can make 10 props at one in one mold if you want for production