Proposed MWC rule changes

Discussion in 'MWC (defunct)' started by eljefe, May 16, 2009.

1. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

I've run into a few MWC members who have ideas on rule changes. I thought this might be a good place to hash them out.
    For starters, here's a concern over ram rules that came up in SCRAP recently. The affected rules are:

"MWC:CBS.II.F: Since the goal of the hobby is to conduct safe surface
    naval battles, other weapons such as mines, torpedoes, ram bow usage,
    depth charges, rockets, fire, acids, bases, etc., are not allowed.

"MWC:CBS.III.C.5.c: The contest director will asses ram damage
    penalties of 50 points for superstructure damage, 100 points for hull
    damage above the waterline, and 200 points for hull damage below the
    waterline."
    From the way the rule is written, it appears to be cumulative for rams that do damage to superstructure, above, and below the waterline. However, SCRAP has chosen to only count the single greatest type of damage received. For example, a ram that does above and below waterline damage would be assessed a penalty of 200 points rather than 300 points. One of the members has brought up the issue with MWC for a possible rule change to clarify the ambiguity.
    Any thoughts?

2. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I would think the 200 is fine but if the captain that performed the ram is involved in another incident, then his boat should be removed from the water and be assessed a penalty equivalent to a sink or 800 whichever is greater.

3. MWC13

MWC13 Member

That's beyond the scope of the rules. Forcing a ship off the water, because of excessive rams, hasn't been necessary as the rammer is often quite upset about the ram. Often as much as the ramee. Peer pressure often works well with this. Why I remember a certain Derfflinger stern punching out a panel on my SoDak. I didn't sink but the pump was fighting a losing battle when I got it to shore. I pointed at the captain who rammed me, laughed and told him he pooped like a girl.

4. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

lol. ouch

5. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

IRCWCC just rolls with the area of most damage, not cumulative, a ram that would hit below and extend to above would just be a below (or do we just do a ram???) maybe I should look at that.......:confused:

6. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure that in most cases, the higher point penalty is assessed. So if there is damage both below, and above the water-line, then only the below penalty is assessed.
    Mikey

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I would think that in the scale of most battles, points-wise, 100 points either way wouldn't affect the outcome much.

8. froggyfrenchman

Tuggy
    Good to see you posting. I thought you had fallen off the face of the earth.
    Mikey

9. Tugboat

I have. A planet called nursing school, which consumes many, many hours to no good end. Also, clinical grades are entirely subjective, based on the mood of your instructor. So having a feminist instructor who thinks that I'm a smartypants doesn't help me. So I have to work my @$$ off to pass. I take some small comfort in knowing that on the 4 national level tests we've taken so far, I've been in the 99th percentile, which makes it hard for her to fail me :) I graduate (hopefully) in September, and then the fun begins where I'm just working, not working and schooling.

The last quarter is the easiest, so I should be on more.

10. froggyfrenchman

A little light at the end of the tunnel never hurt anyone.
    September will be here before you know it.
    Mikey

11. Tugboat

Light at the end of the tunnel is getting Evstafi on the pond, and getting a job to pay for the winter overhaul of the KGV that Pete Dmitri gave me...

12. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Grad school has a way of sucking the life out of you.
    I am still interesting in Effy's brother if you can ever get free time.

13. bkoehler

bkoehler Active Member

I am finally getting on to this site (been meaning to keep up with Justin's work here). I thought I'd mention 'Tuggy' did graduate, did pass the national certificatoin exam, and has been using post-class time now to make progress on a beautiful boat. Now he and i have our new joint-projects to work on this Winter.
    I'm still learning all the features of this site. I am off now to look for a Calendar (I know there are potential captains here who may not see our site, and want to be able to list build sessons, battles, etc here as well to keep our obsession (hobby) visible to as many people as possibl).
    BrianK

14. froggyfrenchman

Brian
    Good to see you on here.
    Mikey