Propulsion mods on a side project.

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by rcaircraftnut, Jun 3, 2020.

1. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Setting up a go fast boat with a brushless system. I have the motor and it's mount all set up for water cooling. Now I am converting an air cooled ESC to water cooled as I don't want to spend big bucks for a pre setup water-cooling one. I'm thinking 4 passes with the 1/8" brass tubing should give sufficient cooling for the 3-5 min runs it will likely see.
    15912460722584381928071519437724.jpg

2. rcaircraftnut

I was thinking about using E6000 to glue the tubing to the heatsink. Anyone have a better idea?

3. BigGunJeff

BigGunJeff Well-Known Member

4. rcaircraftnut

Upgrades to the cooling system. Installed the dual outlet rudder so I can cool things separately. Still need to decide where to add the second outlet.
    15912994296852284207995421645922.jpg
    It already had all new American made upgrades in place for the shaft and prop. As well as a new prop strut. Had a hotter motor in it but I swapped it back to the stock one as I don't have a 180a ESC at the moment.

5. rcaircraftnut

Need to get a replacement bellows for the rudder pushrod also. I am not finding any at a decent price without ordering 10 or more. Lol.

6. rcaircraftnut

Working on another older side project. Just need to install the fuel system, prop, RX, battery, and make a hatch plate. Should be fun to use to harass the ducks at the fishing hole. :woot:
    15931186767013886032785717886277.jpg
    Not happy with the silver paint. Also my Bondo was no good when I opened it. Must have gotten a bit hot in the shop lol. So a new paint job will happen eventually. For now I'm gonna beat it how it sits

7. rcaircraftnut

Just took it out and fired up the old Fox .74 After clearing the needles of old gunk it lit rite off on the second flip. Runs like a champ. Will need to fix the paint on the bottom as I lost it on the grass and it ended up in the gravel driveway. Lol. It's not easy to control on grass. Lol.

8. rcaircraftnut

That engine cost me a $20 bill on a buddy deal. It had not been ran in over 15 yrs that I know of. I love Fox engine's. Too bad they are no more. RIP Duke fox you are surely missed.

9. Nate G

Nate G Well-Known Member

On the heat sink for the fast electric: I am not sure how good a heat conductor E6000 is. That is a ribbed aluminum heat sink built into the ESC yes?
    I have used thermal conductive paste in the joint and found a way to brace the tubes in other ways in the past - usually a hi temp epoxyon the ends or a strip of aluminum as a bracket drilled and bolted to a frame element of some type.

10. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

rcaircraftnut and Nate G like this.
  11. rcaircraftnut

Very nice.