propulsion questions

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by ish311, Nov 11, 2014.

1. ish311

ish311 Active Member

well my move got delayed so i pulled the shimakaze out from storage and got props and motors for it. 550 is the exact same size as the body is wide so that got put on a back counter same for the one input 2 output gear (really nice quality by the way). and found some absolutly tiny motors that say they are a 180 can. not finding much about them at all. no spec sheets even.
    looks like i will need to do a micro switch and servo controlled setup as finding a dual output brushed esc that small is difficult. as such i have questions and am probably just missing a link somewhere but where are the "standard" wiring diagrams used to acomplish such.
    purchased a 7.2v 2200mah battery to replace my bad one.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

You don't need a dual-output brushed ESC. Wire the motors in series or parallel, and run them on 1 ESC. They're tiny, so almost any ESC will do for that.

3. ish311

ish311 Active Member

thank you tugboat.

4. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I just noticed that the Wasp ESC has an option to install limit switches that stop motor motion in one direction or the other when pressed. This could be ideal for driving a piston-type ballast tank: one limit switch when ballast tank full, the other when ballast tank empty.

6. ish311

ish311 Active Member

wasp certainly looks handy. i need to make some mounting disks for my propshaft and order some dogbones, as for some reason i didn't do that last time.

do the dogbones from BC, or another supplier work for the 1/8 to that 1/32 pin that is on the small motors or should i just make the ends for the dogbones on my mill and lathe and order the nylon portion.

for a cheap model that wants a similar motor in size it actually uses a piece of stiff rubber tubing but i feel that might be to loose and slip badly on this ship.

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I actually used the gas line tubing for a year on my I-boat as a poor-man's-uni-joint. It would occasionally break loose, but more superglue helped. If I'd been a bright man, I'd have gotten a collar that slips over the tubing and cranked that down a bit :)

8. DATDAVFred

DATDAVFred Member

so did i read this correctly , on brushed motor say the 550 , you can use 1 esc on 2 motors . ????. just making sure im understanding correctly.
    Thanks, Fred

9. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Yes

Tugboat likes this.
  10. DATDAVFred

DATDAVFred Member

nice.. thanks

11. ish311

ish311 Active Member

more questions.. prop size and shaft length on a kongo geared with the bc 1-2 and a 550 can. it looks like a 10" stuffing tube should work but not certain how much tube you actually want sticking inside the hull as well.