Prototype US 40mm Bofors

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by Tugboat, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Here's the first one, fresh from the mold. Not perfect, but I think it'll look nice for combat scale. Two of these get mounted on a common base to form the quad Bofors. One of these goes on a smaller base to from the dual Bofors. I need to make about 9 more molds so I can cast more than one at a time. (I'd be doing it now, except the cold snap we are in this week is outpacing the ability of the shop heaters to keep the shop warm)

*For scale purposes, I took a pic with the tip of a mechanical pencil next to the guns. Not microscopic, but you get a feel for how small the part is. About half of the wire sticking out the back of the mount will be trimmed, and I have to add the flash suppressors to the barrels as well. Hope you guys like them :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

Looks nice, but I am curious are they 1:144 or 1:96 scale?

3. Tugboat

These are 1/144 scale.

4. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

One Last question. When will your website start showing updates on the sales side of things?

5. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Pretty amazing and nicely done!

6. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Quick question: Is there a "how-to" for molding and casting parts like these? I need to make a bunch of small turrets for a Richelieu.

7. Tugboat

It's pretty easy. If you want to come down some time, bring your turret plug and I'll let you use some of the mold-making stuff to make a mold. I learned from Brian K and a bit of trial and error. At some point, I might do a how-to, but so few people do it that it's not something I'd see being widely read/used.

As far as casting from the mold, it's pretty straightforward, although it's helpful to have a vacuum chamber. The instructions that came with the Smoothcast 321 were reasonably straightforward and had hints.

If you get to a battle with Lou, he's been to a few classes at some place in Atlanta where he orders stuff from. They had a twenty-three part mold to show! that's out there. really.

John, not sure. I want to get some things in inventory before I post stuff for sale. I have various rudders(1, 1.5, and 2 in.sq.) and driveshafts and a couple of Kent Hulls right now. The rudders aren't particularly fancy, but they do have stainless steel shafts :)

8. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Good to have you back clark!

9. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Here is a link to an article on molding and casting written by Tim Smalley, President of the SubCommittee, over on the SubCommittee message board. The Alligator model Tim built using this technique was a full operational static diving submarine and was the actual scale model used in filming for the Discovery Channel special on the Alligator.

Visit this site

Enjoy!

Carl

10. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

Clark it is quite understandable. I look forward to getting to see some of your work in person since we both live in the same state and both participate in MWC events. As you can tell I have a few hulls I am making plugs for, but I am not doing them for mass production as you are, but for small runs for myself and maybe a few friends. As I said I look forward to seeing your work as there will be some thing I will desire to buy from you since I personally will not allways want to make it all on my own.

11. Tugboat

I appreciate it John :) but you making those molds means (to me) that there will be more hulls of different types hitting the water, and that's a Good Thing :) I love variety, rather than another year with 50 NCs (no offense to the NC drivers :)
    So I hope they come out nicely!

I'm very much looking forward to seeing your Kaiser hit the water. They're beautiful ships :)

12. klibben

klibben Member

Tug,

I've been wanting to get into molding, an article would be most helpful if you get the time - and it would be a more than welcome addition to the scuttlebutt!

13. Tugboat

I have a turret I need to make a mold of, so now that I have a functional digital camera again (Merry Christmas from the in-laws), I'll do an article on making a mold of a Yamato primary :)

14. klibben

klibben Member

sounds great!

15. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

Did you say you had a couple of Kent-class hulls around? If so, could you send me a msg or email? If not, no worries!

16. Tugboat

I do have a couple sitting around, I'll send you a message.

17. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

Where do you get the masters from? I want to cast the turret caps for the Iowa (since no one seems to make them...) but i have no master to start with.

18. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Tuggy makes & sells these things! :) Ask him where to send the money & three dollars later you'll have your bofors... Tons easier than making your own.

19. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

*chants* "one point one, one point one, one point one!"

20. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Do you have a picture of the final product put together Clark?