Prototype US 40mm Bofors

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by Tugboat, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Actually, I found that HR makes them for less than $3 apiece, and they're white metal... I have my molds, but mine would cost more (a fair bit of effort to make them), and HR's have better detail. So I figure it's better to let them do it... I haven't bought one to weigh it, yet, but I might. If mine are lighter, it'd be worth it to me to make them.

Crazy old chum, HR does the 1.1" too.

2. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

[:p]I would be too if you do make them white metal seams would be heavy

3. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Might have to check those out. I want to put the 1.1's on my SLC because, well, 1.1's are freaking cool looking AA guns. I need to find some Seagulls to replace my Kingfishers as well...not sure if the Pensacola class ever carried the Kingfisher. I think most cruisers carried Seagulls for most of the war.

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I'll get some for weighing. Weight might not be an issue for battleships, but Monk's got issues :) If there's a reasonable difference, I'll make some of my 40's in resin. I still need to unpack the box that has my OS-2 plug in it. Yeah, been in the house like 9 months and still unpacking.

5. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

hehe yeah I understand his issues, my Salt Lake City is only 9,100 tons standard, so I end up with like 11 pounds heavy. I'm looking at doing the superstructure out of that blue house foam I've seen people use for doing penetration tests, hull plugs, turret plugs and superstructures. If it's good enough for Mikey Deskin's strasbourg, it's good enough for my Salt Lake City!

That should go a long way towards keeping the top weight down, so I can keep the center of gravity low and minimize my rolling as much as possible.

6. Powder Monkey

Issues who said that shut up no you hey people are looking at us oh hi all [:p] Tug you will be unpacking till the day you move again trust me. Oh and don’t worry I wont tell them we share therapist.

I’m sure some of you followed my escapades thru the West system swap over the folks at West where awesome. They called the place I got it and made shore they replaced it with a different batch or lot # and followed up with me great customer relations (you don’t see that much these days) I know I know you are saying why is he rambling about this its off topic who said that Shut up… dam voices well they sent me a complementary package for my frustration [:(!] a new product called GFLEX after I told what we do he was very excited was going to look into this always liked to build models and fire cracker them as a kid I suppose [:0] but any ways he thought this would be a good product for our superstructures I will let you know just wish I had it before I glassed them with straight resin oh well

7. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

What is GFLEX and how will it work for the ships?

8. Powder Monkey

I'm not sure he was throwing all kinds of chemistry stuff at me [|)]the jist I got was it is a whole lot tougher than resin and can be added right into it as you glass here is the link too it

http://www.epoxyworks.com/25/pdf/G-flex_Epoxy.pdf

9. Powder Monkey

any one check this stuff out ?

10. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Any news on the 40mm Tugboat?