Provence Ship build (cad -> kit)

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by GregMcFadden, Jun 10, 2014.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I still have to test glue the casemates and knock out the regions that have to be removed for IRC casemate rules

2. GregMcFadden

So for penetrable casemate regions, the build is a little different than a normal build. the casemates need to be built as shown in the following pictures. by laminating layers together. adhesive should only be placed between components in regions that will be there once the ship is complete. (see further down post for continuation of this paragraph). laminate 2x 1/4" and 1x 1/8" layers including the 1/4" main deck
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now the regions that should be penetrable are marked. cut at the marks to the main deck using standard hacksaw blade.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now snap out region you just cut free and you get

[​IMG]

Now if necessary (and allowed) a vert. rib can be put at an appropriate location if allowed.

Now I am not building for a club that requires penetrable casemates, so I probably will not make them penetrable for the proto build but I could be convinced otherwise

3. GregMcFadden

So it becomes the picture below with penetrable casemate
    [​IMG]

side note. 8 minutes from parts mess to that picture.

irnuke likes this.
  4. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Greg, I can cut it as you did, but my lazy nature says "pleaseeee build it for penetrable fast gun".

5. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I think he meant as a demo. He's already designed the kit - and if he did redo it to be zero cutting for IRCWCC rules there would be an absolute mountain of little tiny pieces you would need to match up like one of those hellish 3d puzzles where everything looks the same.
    I think the route hes settled on - marking where you need to cut - is a very good solution, far better than not supplying the sections at all and forcing you to build up the casemates from scratch.

6. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

windowing it after it is glued up is better anyway, really nice work

7. GregMcFadden

thanks. In addition to what nick said, precutting them into that 3d puzzle kit of tiny pieces would make it possible to mess up the sub deck such that the threaded screw insert holes would no longer align properly with the main deck.

8. GregMcFadden

Well, it has been a while... but there is real progress.. the kit is validated and I wish I had taken motor mount pictures when they were installed because the setup works well.... a special bracket plus two of the new style traxxas motor mounts, properly modified bolts right in perfectly and compactly.

first some pictures with the casemates cut out and the whole thing assembled up to main decks... remember to glue the casemate layers to the appropriate main deck portions then remove the penetrable cutouts.. THEN glue the whole set of sub-assemblies to the rest of the hull. helps if this part is done first as having ribs available for alignment checks is beneficial.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    note that the stern cutouts have integral
    [​IMG]

and one of the great hinderer actually helping :)
    [​IMG]

rcaircraftnut, rcengr and Tugboat like this.
  9. GregMcFadden

Well, with much thanks to Jadfer who pointed out the following configurations and their benefits, I now have decided the gun configuration. Default is going to be stern sidemounts and a 14 degree off centerline bow gun with one pump. that bow gun will impact about 3-4 inches off the centerline of the ship 2-4 inches forward of the bow. I may go with a full on twin pump mount if room permits so that the default config is one pump disabled and 3 guns or 2 pumps and 2 stern sides depending on conditions.

10. GregMcFadden

Just to tease... see below... The CG mark is about where the center of buoyancy exists if the hull form is matched. will vary a bit based on individual builders and normal tolerance.
    plans1.JPG

11. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Absolutely beautiful work. If only it wasn't French....LOL

12. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

4.5 units, 28 sec speed for fast gun?
    Holy Cr@p it looks great! Well done, Greg.

13. GregMcFadden

And add to that the scale rudder being slightly larger than the by class rudder size

14. GregMcFadden

I can't believe it has been this long since I updated the thread. it has been nigh impossible to find time to work on her this summer. but finally an update. Stephen should be getting close to getting it set up on the site, and I have finally gotten some more work done on her.
    IMG_20151009_210642.jpg IMG_20151009_210713.jpg IMG_20151009_210642.jpg IMG_20151009_210713.jpg IMG_20151009_210731.jpg IMG_20151009_210703.jpg

15. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Very nice work indeed.
    Well done!
    Mikey

16. GregMcFadden

Well, the bottom of the hull is glassed, the rudder is planned out... need to fit the servo and do one final touchup on the epoxy.... then hardware can start going in. IMG_20151029_220908.jpg IMG_20151029_220920.jpg IMG_20151029_220914.jpg

SteveT44, NickMyers and absolutek like this.
  17. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Wait...it's French, so where's the automatic scuttling device to be mounted?

18. GregMcFadden

As the ASD was technically smaller than 1 cubic inch, I am ignoring it.

19. GregMcFadden

So I have gotten the rudder in, chain fits. but the shafting , bushings, and tubing is all running at MMC. what a pain in the... still need some more reaming and a trim on that bushing. May end up just putting it in the mill and making it clean.

IMG_20151121_232605.jpg IMG_20151121_232610.jpg IMG_20151121_232620.jpg IMG_20151121_232625.jpg IMG_20151121_232631.jpg

20. GregMcFadden

Well, while waiting for the metal plate from stephen, I have mocked up the install using the wood plate. Looks to be a good setup for drivetrain to me. and not in the way of the turrets at all.

IMG_20151127_224043[1].jpg IMG_20151127_224035[1].jpg

-Greg