pump

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by Evil Joker, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

has eneyone tryed to use or make this work in a ship http://bonzisports.com/catalogue/product_info.php?products_id=205

2. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

You mean an automatic pump that turns on or off, depending on the presence of water?

Nope. Nobody ever thought of that before.

But if they had, it might be here:

http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/rcnavalcombat/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1288

JM

3. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

YES I KNOW. but i asked about this one http://bonzisports.com/catalogue/product_info.php?products_id=205

4. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Looks pretty small, I have not tried it myself.

5. Windrider0275

Windrider0275 Member

Hey, that's a nice find and a nice site. I may get one to test it out and see how it works in my boats. I know that some guys have the auto pump device on their pumps, sensors and all, but this one may be easier to use as it is already to go! I will let you know if I get one after checking it out some more.

6. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I've seen one or two of those in old parts bins at Fire Power Dan's place, and used the water sensor from one myself. From what I've seen, they are too oversized and underpowered to be practical for RC naval combat. one might be suitable for a small or mid-size transport in clubs with limited GPH pumps, but it is totally unsuitable for either the WWCC or for Fast Gun combat. Pumps designed specifically for RC naval combat are more powerful, more efficient, and more compact. That thing was designed ages ago to keep tugboats and cabin cruisers afloat in case the planking popped a seam. The water sensor uses an ancient Mark I pump circuit, which is usable but it's still cheaper and more effective to build a circuit yourself. You can get a more compact, capable pump from Battler's Connection for the exact same price, and then build yourself a better pump circuit for a little bit more (and some soldering).

7. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Looks like it would work but I'm leary of a few things. The wire is very light, it runs off a 9v battery and doesn't look like it's designed for "high output pumping such as what we need. I haven't tried it so I can't really say but I built 5 NTXBG mk 3's (Jeff Burn's design) for the price of that. http://www.ntxbg.org/howto.php

if somebody does decide to give it a try, Please post how you made out with it.

8. hullbuster

hullbuster Member

9. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

SHHHHHH!!!! that's my high tech lightweight design, I just don't want them to know ;)

10. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

how about .5 pump for a Cruiser. change the motor and battery or use the parts for a bc pump

11. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Good luck finding one.
    The French have grabbed them all up for our ships.
    They should last long enough to allow us to scuttle the fleet.
    Mikey

12. phill

phill Active Member

A Solution exists!

BC micro pumps have not been what they could be for a couple of years because they ran out of the original micro sized motors. I spent a couple of hours with calipers and the laptop and I am pleased to announce that I have solved the micro pump challenge.
    The Mubachi motors are well known and many varieties are often found on the surplus market. Looking at Mubachi's technical website, I came to the conclusion that the original BC micro pump has a built in mount that is designed for either a 130 or a competitor. I then went looking on the web and found that All Electronics has a 130 based motor with relative low rpm and reasonable torque. I ordered some and they showed up a couple of weeks ago. I finally had some time and found that they do not drop into the almost press fit upper case. Hmmm. They are a bit big, just a bit big. So out came the dremil and I ground out the inside of the mount just a bit. There is still plenty of material to provide support. On the second try modest pressure seated the motor just perfectly. A bit of reassembly and the VC micro pump is back together.
    In the kitchen sink the pump is working fine. A nice stream of water just clears the fry pan lid, arcs over both sinks and soaked the counter on the other side. Don't get excited, this is not a replacement for a large or even small pump. The water volume and pressure are significantly lower that a standard small pump. If you are hurting for space and need the very small dimentions (especially vertical) for a destroyer or other small craft, this is the solution for you.
    I assume the original molds are around for the integrated motor housing. Make sure the folks at BC know that you want the motor housing top. They have been selling these pumps for use with the 300 series motors and have an alternate top. Then wander over to the All Electronics website and pick up a couple of DCM-233's to complete your project.

13. Superb Cat

Superb Cat Member

Probably an old list people dont look at any more but.......
    In Australia we found a kit from a local electronics hobby store for a water switch. It's a kit you buy and build and runs on 12 volts. the switch operated with 2 contact leads, one in the bottom of the boat and one at the upper level line. Made one for my Jap liner years ago and put a second desired switch level (spliced off the top one in the hull) line on the pump outlet line. When water gets in the lower level line contacts it and when it gets to the upper level line contact is made and the pump switched on, as it pumped the outflow contacted the second lead in the outlet line maintaining contact as the pump pulled the water level it below the high point contact in the hull and she would pump till she blew air bubbles into the outlet line, contact lost and turned the pump off, untill water contacted the upper line in the hull again switching on the pump and so on. Worked really well until I put WD40/CRC into the boat to wash off the electronics, it covered the lead contact point so she didn't switch on.
    It dies work and now that I've got running the boat down pat and dont use sprays on the servo's in the boat (Use Methylated Spirits) it'd be fine to set up again.
    Cheers

14. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

There are several places on the web with the automatic pump circuit... I'm building one to put in my 0.5 unit destroyer to run the BC micropump.

15. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Othar gets even more impressive!

16. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Othar is a tough bugger to fit everything in, and the automatic switch is easier to fit! :) Also, I had the parts in my electronics junk bin :)