Pumps

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by Bob Pottle, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Pump testing continues with the aim of finding pump/motor/restrictor outlet combinations for the 3 outputs allowed under Treaty rules. Power sources are 6V batteries.

The first success is a combination for battlecruisers, which are allowed 1.0 US gallons/minute. A Mabuchi 380RH motor on a Camurati pump with a 7/64" restrictor outlet is averaging 0.94 gpm.

Testing of a potential 0.75 gpm pump for smaller ships will be finished tomorrow. I'm using a small 6V 'no-name' motor with the same diameter as a 380 but 3/4 as long (sold as a '6V Toy Motor' by surplus dealer Princess Auto).

On a Camurati pump with a 1/8" outlet the output is 0.53 gpm. Calcualtions indicate a 9/64" outlet will increase the flow to almost 0.75 gpm and a 5/32" outlet may be a little too much. Will test both.

Bob

2. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

So your still using my pump huh Bob, how does BC's pump stack up against mine?
    Carlo

3. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

I cant tell you in numbers but I can in sinks [:D] yours Rocks

4. thegeek

Thanks Monk,
    Carlo

5. Bob Pottle

Hi Carl,
    I use your pumps in all of my ships, from Class 1-7. I have never had an impeller failure in the 6+ years I've used them and rarely get sunk. (I was always getting sunk with the old Swampworks pumps when I first got into the hobby.)

Around 2004 I ran comparative tests between your pumps and large ones from BC and Swampworks, all using the same 550 motor on 6V. The figures were posted on the IRCWCC forum but I no longer have them. I recall your pump outperformed the SW and BC ones by at least 10%. The SW and BC pumps' outputs were almost identical.

In testing last month (trying to reduce output for Treaty rules) your pump with a Mabuchi 380RH and 1/8" outlet pumped 1.75 gpm. I thought that was amazing for a small motor.

Other than the efficiency and reliability I like the compact size of your pumps and fit them aft between prop shafts in all of my Class 4 and larger models. Are you working on any new projects for the hobby? Expect more pump orders from NATCF members for new ships under construction.

Regards,
    Bob

6. thegeek

Plato and I made a cast Super for the Yamato class BB and it worked out real well. Plato had best of scale in both combat and convoy,
    as we were developing the Super I knew he had it in the bag. Next
    year is my turn, ventalators and other small stuff is what I'm working on now.
    Carl
    PS: nats might be in RI next year,,,,,,,,,,,,hint,hint,hint

7. Bob Pottle

Carl,
    Nats in RI? That would be great news! My 4 Class 1-3 ships are being converted to Treaty but they're designed to quickly change motors, pump outlets and props to switch back to IRCWCC specs. I've resumed work on the Nelson and Vanguard and will bring one of those BBs plus a Krasni Krim with 4 x 1/2 unit spurt guns in bow embrasures (for base defence in Campaign Lite).

Some members of the new NATCF Treaty club remain still interested in IRCWCC combat, so expect a few of us to show up if NATS returns to RI. Ralph and I have been hoping for another NATS in RI, which is in 12 hours driving range (less by high speed ferry to Maine). I'll have to pay renew my lapsed IRCWCC membership for 2009.

How about a cast superstructure for the Nelson or Vanguard??

Bob

8. thegeek

I don't think that Nelson or Vanguard is a posible for me at this time. The Axis is what I build either Jap or Italian. The Yamato upper works came out rather nice so I will be concentrating on that baby for now (ventalators and all the small bits). I'll have Plato post some pictures of the work we have done on her,
    Carlo

9. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

[​IMG]

Here yougo Carl

10. Bob Pottle

Wow! What a great superstructure. It would save many, many hours of scratch-building.

Bob

11. thegeek

Pumps, I don't make them to sell anymore. After I discovered that Mike Deskin was contracting with Allen B. to "knock them off" I stopped marketing them for public use. I would contact Mike Deskins,
    or Allen B. about getting their knock offs,
    Carlo

12. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

I did send Alan one of Carlo's older variant pumps. He was attempting to build his own pumps, with only limited success.
    He said he wouldn't copy anyone else's work, and I took him at his word.
    I do not support anyone copying other folks stuff.
    Mikey

13. thegeek

I met and talked to Allen at the Erie Battle back about two years ago.
    Allen was showing Plato the new pump he was making and Plato said "hey
    Carl take a look at this". Allens face went pale and I introduced myself and from there we had a very informative conversation.

I wasn't mad at the obvious clone (even my spares fit perfect in the clone), I looked at it as a compliment that my design was worthy of copy.

But a unautherized clone of a present design it was,
    Carlo

14. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Just got done doing some testing with Abdiel's pump. It uses a BC micro pump. BC supplies a second mounting plate so you can upgrade from the supplied motor(a 250 maybe??,small and kinda square)to a 280 or 365 motor.With the supplied pump it was under the allowed .75 gallon allowed by Treaty rules.This afternoon I swapped out to a BC 365 motor and in three tests it pumped the .75 gallons out of the bucket in 58.2/58.5/58.3 seconds.That is with a 1/8" hose,No restrictor on the end.

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

How about a cast superstructure for the Nelson or Vanguard??

Bob
    [/quote]

I don't think that Nelson or Vanguard is a posible for me at this time. The Axis is what I build either Jap or Italian. The Yamato upper works came out rather nice so I will be concentrating on that baby for now (ventalators and all the small bits). I'll have Plato post some pictures of the work we have done on her,
    Carlo

Hey I like that Superstructure how much is it and are there more available?

[/quote]

16. thegeek

Carlo

Hey I like that Superstructure how much is it and are there more available?

[/quote]
    [/quote]

Maybe but I have to get the whole thing done with all the small bits,
    Pictures of the AA guns and small turrets are on the IRCWCC Yahoo site, they are made of rubber to resist damage.