QE - Frankenship

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Lou, Dec 11, 2013.

1. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Jeff and I cut our barrels shorter... OOPS TMI!!!!

2. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

That boat sure does have a purty stern!!!!

3. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Longer barrels don't give you higher velocity... if anything, the additional drag may lose you a bit. A long barrel on a firearm works b/c the gunpowder expansion is WAY more than the barrel volume. The little shot of CO2 during our valve cycling isn't that great a volume. All our velocity comes from the momentary "check" at the o-ring causing a pressure spike.

This is my understanding of the system. YMMV.

4. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Shorter barrels do fire at a slower speed.
    I can't think of a bow sidemount on any of my ships that does not hang off. Yours looks normal too me, about 1". I worry more about punching holes in people with it. Happens but not that much.
    Now my stern sidemounts get cut close to the deck, maybe 1/4"- 1/2" off. They punch holes real easy.
    Flip up the turret, what's holding the barrel in under there?

5. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I used to have overhanging barrels on the Baden until I had my gun and barrel bent/twisted when Foster's big Italian boat was going the opposite direction and drove right into the gap between my gun and ship. The gun was pointing backwards creating a V shape against the hull. After that I cut them down... at some point.

6. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

This sounds like a question for @GregMcFadden who I suspect knows the answers to all of life's pressure related questions.

7. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Force = mass * acceleration. For us this translates to: CO2 pressure * area of BB / mass of BB = Acceleration. So as long as there is any pressure behind the BB, it is still accelerating. Pressure is decreasing as the BB get further along the barrel but there is still some pressure even at the end.

8. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Barrel length can have a significant effect on velocity.

It might be more insightful if you go test a 1" barrel next to a 5" barrel than for us to sit and go through all the physics. Not that the physics is hard but hands on demos are better.

9. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

I remember Bart P. doing a test back in the day that showed why a 5 inch barrel was best...

10. Lou

6/32 screw and soldered tab on the downtube

11. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Bolt something to the red glass that the barrel goes through. This will hold the gun in place when it gets hit. When it gets hit hard the barrel will bend.
    I was able to use Tyler's haymarker to pivot my ship around, I could shoot him, he couldn't get me. Took some practice.

12. Iunnrais

Iunnrais Active Member

Lock that barrel down :) It will get hit. I've had innumerable people ram the bow side mount on the Duke and just turn the barrel into a pretzel. You want something that will allow a badly bent or dented barrel to be removed (tight fitting sleeves will not let go of a bent barrel).

[​IMG]

13. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

When I cut down the barrels on Emile Bertin's prototype cannons the velocity plummeted. Mind you, these were big gun Indiana type cannons, so the dynamic is slightly different as there is no o ring to allow the pressure behind the ball to build some before the ball begins to accelerate out of the barrel, so the effect was more pronounced for me. While reading the rules for the particular rule set I was building for, I found that the allowed barrel length was limited to scale length barrels, so I had to cut about an inch off of them, which lessened the amount of foam the ball could penetrate by about 1/3. There is , of course, a point at which additional barrel length is counter productive, which is when the drag imparted by the barrel overcomes the force produced as the gas attempts to exit.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  14. ProfessorChaos

ProfessorChaos Active Member

You won't lose enough velocity to make a difference. Several of my barrels are below 4"

15. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Lou, we got epoxy coat two on ours tonight. Got the guns bent and the gun mounts made. Pump house is ready. Some of the SS is ready.
    Tomorrow assemble sheet test.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  16. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

My barrels on Bismarck were overhanging and boy.. did they Ever!.Get knocked around by those Nasty Sodaks mostly and everybody else on the allie fleet who figured the best way to take out Bismarck would be to disarm her literally. Fortunatly they were locked down really well. They moved a little but were still firing well unfortuntaly for the Rammers. You can see evidence of this on my Video posted here in the Media section .Look for the red turrets. No music just sounds of ramming, firing , and BBS dinging off the camera mount for the Go Pro. You can see the cannon sidemounts being moved as the Sodaks slam into them.

17. Lou

When I laid out the deck sections, I was off a few inches when it came to the placement of the superstructure. So, out comes the dremel and lets make this work.
    Will need to clean it up, but this now means the forward superstructure can be attached to the deck.

18. Lou

Put some eye-liner on the old lady

absolutek likes this.
  19. Lou

Need help, gentlemen!
    Test runs showed a potential major issue. When full in forward or stern, motors would run for 2-3 seconds and then shut off. Putting the stick in neutral and I could go in the other direction. ESC did not shut completely off, more like it disables until you go back into neutral.
    This is my ESC:
    HobbyWing QUICRUN 1060 Brushed ESC (1/10)
    HOBBYWING TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD.
    These are the motors (two)
    Great Planes ElectriFly S-600 7.2-8.4V Ferrite Motor
    TowerHobbies.com |Great Planes ElectriFly S-600 7.2-8.4V Ferrite Motor
    ESC does not reset or make any noise, I can run it at a low speed and it will not cut off. Of course no load on the bench and it screams with no issues.
    Thoughts?
    Wondering if I should have used:
    Hobbywing Waterproof QuicRun 60A ESC WP-860-DUAL Dual Brushed for 1/8 Sport Car
    HOBBYWING TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD.

20. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Are the motors on the same ESC or do they each have their own ESC?