QE - Frankenship

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Lou, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

same

2. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

my guess is that the ESC is shutting down because it is sensing a voltage drop past the set point.
    Look at the set up data to the ESC and see if it is set at "Infinite cell count" or "n" cells. If it is set at a set number of cells the ESC will monitor the voltage and shut down to prevent ruined battery issues in LiPo batteries due to over discharge.

3. Lou

4. thegeek

I would set it for the 5-9 NiMh setting and just keep a eye on my current when I charge. Then after a couple of sorties you will have a good idea as to what she draws per sortie.

Newer ESC's have so many features that it is hard not to LOVE/HATE them.

5. Lou

Carl = 1 adult beverage of your choice at Nats. Just tested in the tank, seems to have worked switching the battery type. Now off to the pool again for tryouts

6. Lou

Pass the coppertone. please

7. Lou

The water is cold, I swear I have 16 inch guns!

CURT, rcengr and KeriMorgret like this.
  8. Lou

Thanks to Carl "I owe at least two beers, or afternoon sonic shakes" the battery switch was a success.
    Kids at the pool were very impressed, so I can cross that one off the list :)
    At sea with full boilers

CURT and jadfer like this.
  9. Lou

Next will be the 100 foot speed test to see how much thrust I can keep, boat seemed to be close "on speed". The dual rudder allows it to almost turn on it's stack, will see after any speed adjustments.
    Time to gas up the guns and dial them in, will use the new BB trap (Idea from Spuds) to get them rocking.

Wmemlo likes this.
  10. Lou

[​IMG]

Scharnhorst56 and CURT like this.
  11. thegeek

Good deal Lou, glad you fixed it so easy. I then went into my boat and started diddiling with the ESC on the pump. I am running a smaller ESC on the brushless pump and I like it so far (even the programing).

12. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Looks great! the pics of the ship in the pool are very cool

13. Prye52

Prye52 Member

Reading this forum, I had another newbie question about damage to the guns of a ship by ramming by other ships: doesn't intentionally ramming a ship incur penalties to the ramming ship by rules, or is it like NASCAR? " rubbing is racing"? just wondering. Thanks!

14. thegeek

Rubbing and trading paint is the norm but intentional ramming is another thing. The CD has the wonderful task of officiating at ram discussions.
    There is nothing in this hobby that causes more social unrest as a RAM. Considered really BAD FORM and in general should be avoided at all cost.
    Rams reflect on your ability to maneuver and captain your craft, voluminous jokes and kidding will commence at dinner.

There was even a story of a campaign where a certain captain and his ship was intentionally targeted with ram after ram in order to remove him and his boat from the water, effective but totally unsportsman conduct (not a IRCWCC event).

NickMyers likes this.
  15. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I dug through here but cant seam to find any source... where did you get the nice inserts for your blast shielding? What size and link would be great...

16. Lou

8574K38
    Impact polycarbonate that is comparable to the Lexan brand name. Been using this in my cruiser for a couple of years with no issues. You can even double it up (use a couple of washers between sheets) in a panel if you are really concerned about failure. Biggest benefit is weight.
    I could not find it in my past orders (sometimes the account function in McMaster is not the most reliable), but I believe this to be the correct link. I chose 24 inches as you can overlap joints and 36 inches is just too large to cut and install.

17. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Not the sheet material, the inserts.... those nice little inserts to hold the shield in place... I can get inserts here at Lowes, but they cost too darn much and the ones you are using look a little different as well.

[​IMG]

18. Lou

94615A112
    50 inserts for $10, this is for using 4-40 screws

19. Lou

Need advice, for this ship I am not able to change the layout to allow a gun in A turret. So in B turret how much down angle should I put the gun (20 degrees?).
    1. Do I want a shallow angle to keep axis away from the bow (or is this a defense only, plan on dumping ammo at the end of the sortie)
    2. What angle to cover, meaning more towards the bow or amidships?
    Current setup (20 degrees down angle)

20. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Too bad you can't use A turret. I've built several British warships with 15" turrets (Terror, Courageous, Warspite, Hood). There is no way you can get a 20 degree depression on the guns because the turret height is too shallow. The best I managed was a little under 10 degrees for all but Hood which has a slightly taller turret of unique design. Even with Hood I couldn't get a down angle much greater than 10 degrees.

You could use B turret in the bow quadrant as it's height will allow the BBs to easily clear the bow. For obvious reasons you don't want to engage closely with a bow gun - most people don't use them at all in battleship models. I recommend using B turret as a side mount.

My HMS Warspite used X turret as a sidemount (same height as QE's B turret) and it was quite effective. You just have to stay a little further from the target to hit close to the waterline - easily done with practice. As to the angle, if it sticks out at 90 degrees it will eventually get hit and damaged by another ship. QE is relatively slow so I'd have the BB cannon aimed ahead as a 'chase gun', about 40 degrees off centre and ranged out to hit the water at about 3' range.

I assume you have dual stern guns in Y turret and a sidemount in X turret. I sometimes used Warspite's X turret gun trained forward at 40-45 degree off centre, again because of the model's slowish speed, and depressed as far as possible. The off centre angle allowed closer hits than if the cannon was trained outward at 90 degrees and tended to make somewhat elongated holes at close range.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015