QE Model Study

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by SteveT44, Sep 12, 2014.

1. jimmybeekeeper

jimmybeekeeper Active Member

i believe there would be no difference between the 2 valiant had apparently the same retrofit as warspite just later
    HMS Valiant entered British Royal Navy service in 1916, initially serving with the Fifth Battle Squadron of the Grand Fleet. She participated in the Battle of Jutland later in the same year, during which she would expend 288 15-inch shells. Between 1919 and 1924, she was assigned to the 1st Battle Squadron of the Atlantic Fleet. Between 1924 and Mar 1929, she was assigned to the 1st Battle Squadron of the Mediterranean Fleet. She underwent a major refit between 1929 and 1930, during which her anti-torpedo bulges were added, her two funnels were merged into one, two of her torpedo tubes were removed, her aircraft platforms were replaced by a catapult, and she received a octuple 2-pounder anti-aircraft mounting. She returned to service in Dec 1930. In Sep 1931, her crew participated in the Invergordon Mutiny, during which her crew protested cuts in pay. Between Mar 1932 and Jul 1935, she was assigned to the Home Fleet. Between Jul 1935 and 1936, she was assigned to the Mediterranean Fleet. In 1936, she received a second octuple 2-pounder mounting. Between Mar 1937 and Nov 1939, at Devonport in Britain, she received another major refit, during which her machinery was changed to eight Admiralty 3-drum boilers with four Parsons steam turbines, her armor thickened, and she received modern fire control systems.

2. jimmybeekeeper

Between the two World Wars, all five ships underwent major upgrades. Warspite's revisions were most extensive, and her entire superstructure was remade.

During its lifetime the ship underwent a lot of changes in its arms configuration. Technological development made shooting beyond the horizon possible which resulted in an upgrade of the 15" main batteries so they could be elevated to 30 degrees instead of the original 20 and thereby increase its operational range. The rapid development of the aircraft and its role in modern naval warfare had a huge impact on the configuration. A large number of AA guns where placed and replaced during its later years. Especially during WWII the number was increased considerably. The number of the original secondary armament - the 6" gun batteries - was decreased again and again to be completely removed by the end of 1944.

Warspite was originally fitted with 8 40in searchlights. After the Battle of Jutland, the number of searchlights was nearly doubled due to the bad performance by the Royal Navy during the night action.

[​IMG]
    In 1915 there was a crew of 951 men and officers. Large quarters were reserved for the Admiral and senior officers. The number of crew members increased to 1134 after the 1934 refit but no effort was made to increase the accommodation accordingly.

The advantage of airplanes was realized early in WWI and already in 1918 Warspite was installed with onboard planes. Two planes were carried onboard a forward and an aft 15" turret but this installation was abandoned 1934 when a steam catapult was constructed between the funnels and the aft turrets. A number of different planes were carried (Sopwith 2F1 Camel, Swordfish etc.) and by 1940 it was the Supermarine Walrus that gave Warspite its aviation capabilities. The aircraft was removed in 1943 and the hangar was then used for recreational purposes.

3. jimmybeekeeper

it seems except the superstructure all the ships ended up the same so all you have to do is use the appropriate super structure for the year of the ship being built

4. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

I'm not sure, but I think I should be offended. o_O

5. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

The Hull was very thick and with all the stringers it made for VERY small windows. Even a Dremel cutoff wheel was too big to fit. This was by far the most difficult fiberglass hull I have worked with. I knew this going in, and believe the extra work will be worth it in the end.

6. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

I added the pics back to the first post.

7. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

lol! I actually had to go double back and see if I posted it that way

8. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

In farther clarification from Stephen,
    The Warspite plans they carry, have both the torpedo bulges and the casement decks.
    Go Allies

9. jimmybeekeeper

how would i go about getting a ralph cole hull? i searched the internet no joy

10. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Email Ralph Coles at ralphster30@hotmail.com. hopefully he has one in stock otherwise you'll be waiting till spring.

11. jimmybeekeeper

there is no rush i wont build it for a while but i would like to start gathering parts i need to get the cleveland in the water before march and battle ready for statesboro march 21-22

12. jimmybeekeeper

i mailed him thx for the addy

13. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member