Questions about starting a new club

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by baudot, Feb 6, 2017.

1. baudot

baudot New Member

If anyone who reads this is a Bay Area R/C Warship hobbyist, or can put me in touch with one, that would be great.

I mentor a group of kids who compete in the First Robotics competition. Their parents have been wanting to keep them together during the off season, and working on similar projects. R/C Warships seems like it could be a great fit for them.

I'd like to find an experienced R/C Warship builder in my area to have a face to face chat with, to sort out all the starter questions. Being in the S.F. Bay Area, you'd think there would be tons of R/C Warship folks to talk to, but I'm running into nothing but dead web links and redirected phone numbers as I try to contact my local groups.

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Regretfully the SF Bay Area club has encountered difficulties with their pond, and have had to move their events out to Sacramento. This has had a disastrous effect on frequency and attendance of events, with the WWCC effectively reduced to a few die-hards. As a former WWCC member who moved to the East Coast, I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have, but a show-and-tell may be a little more difficult.

3. Z Boat

Z Boat Well-Known Member

Or you can ask me or the others that live in the Bay Area that are in our group, that the fine people on this site seem to forget we are here also.

4. Gary Powell

Gary Powell Well-Known Member

Pacific Model Warship Club (PMWC) has several active members still in the SF Bay Area. Mostly in the San Jose area. We also have the bulk of our members here in the Sacramento/Central California area. Any of us would be happy to help out. Try sending Deryk in San Jose an email at: deryk@sbcglobal.net. You can also personal message Z Boat or myself here on the forum. We are currently working with several youth here in the Roseville/Sacramento area. Many started out with simple PT Boats and are now moving up to regular 2 gun destroyers. Just let us know what you have in mind. Gary

5. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Yup, if you want to link up with an already existent group follow up on the PMWC contacts. They should be able to get you and your kids going full speed ahead on the wonderful world of toy boats.
    If their site is down I think it has to do with them switching hosting providers currently. Not because they're defunct (they're not)

6. Gary Powell

Gary Powell Well-Known Member

Nick is correct, our web hosting service just changed and our website is currently down. As soon as I can figure a few things out, it will be back up and running. Thanks for your patience, Gary

7. deryk haole

deryk haole Member

My name is deryk. I am a co-founder of Pacific Model Warship Club. Our site, pacificmodelwarshipclub.com is normally up and running. However, we are transitioning to another host and rebuilding the site.

live in San Jose and would be happy to meet with any number of persons at my home to give you a better idea of what we do. Recently, we participated in the mini maker faire in Rocklin, Ca. As a result we had the opportunity to work with a group of kids who bought PT boat kits and assembled them at one of our members home in Roseville, Ca. We donate some materials and our time.

This is available to anyone expressing a desire to build a ship. We build from scratch, but also vacuform pt boats, cargo ships and many other parts. We provide these items at our cost. Members also sell complete combat ships at cost. We are here to promote the hobby and make friends, not make a profit.

If this interests you please email me at deryk@sbcglobal.net

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  8. baudot

baudot New Member

Thanks for warm welcome!

I've taken the invite to eMail deryk. Hope to see you guys around!