R/C Ship Combat at the NAMBA Nats 2015

Discussion in 'General' started by Union Scum, May 17, 2015.

1. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

Let's continue our conversation here, in the meantime. My idea might not be feasible at all.

Rob

2. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I don't think much more progress can be made using text and such. I believe at this point face to face is the way to go. Many of the people you are trying to reach don't use the forum anway. I think I will table my discussion for a time when you can meet with our group and discuss your Namba plans for them.

In any case there would be no way to get the different groups on board without their e-board support and that is not going to happen here on this forum, I am sorry to say.

Perhaps you should shoot for October when things slow down and attend the Rosenberg event. There will be some very experienced Veteran Captains in attendance that could give you great advice on the issue.

Hope to see you then. IRCWCC Events - 2015

Thanks

Johnny

3. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

Well, at least we've "floated" some ideas here that might circulate throughout the community. And who knows? Someone else could be lurking here with some thoughts to share.

Here's a question for you: How many active members (according to your definition expressed earlier) does your organization have, and roughly how many of them participate at your Nats?

Best regards,

Rob

4. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Active members about 150 total (IRCWCC and MWC combined)

This IRCWCC Nationals 2015 in June will be about 35 in attendance, it is a different year because of the merging of the two clubs. The June date caused many not to be able to attend.

5. thegeek

Rob you should try to come to one of our Nationals, it is a hoot.

6. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

When you say, "it is a different year because of the merging of the two clubs," do you mean the number of Nats participants, pre-merger, would likely have been lower?

Rob

7. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

I plan to, but my wife and I are in the process of buying a new home, and that will make it impossible to travel this June, unfortunately. Is there a date and location set for 2016?

Rob

8. thegeek

The IRCWCC gained about 10 or so combatants for Nationals this year, I think it would have been a bigger gain had our National been in July because MWCi had their Nats in July.

9. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

As MWCI typically has Nats in July most folks had already made June plans. Also those folks needed to plan for vacations prior to December so when the announcement was made in December it was a bit late to change plans.

I wouldn't doubt some folks are sitting out for other reasons but I am sure next year with a full year to plan and apply for vacation time, there will be more of the MWCI crowd at Nats.

10. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

Any idea when the date will be set for 2016?

11. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Dates and venues are voted on in the Annual Ballot. Last year the results were announced in October I believe.

12. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

When I wrote the new NAMBA safety rules, I checked with all existing clubs doing combat and got their compliance with the changes and rules. There is no reason for a club to not have additional rules, but the NAMBA rules are there as a minimum. The rules are what everyone could live with. Be safe!
    Marty

13. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

Not to be argumentative, Marty, but a whole group of us wrote the new NAMBA rules. We worked for weeks on it, going back and forth until we found a synthesis that all formats and clubs could live with. I still have all of that work archived, FYI. I'm bringing this up because I've always been proud of the work we did as a community, willing as we were to put our own pet flavors of RC Warship Combat aside for the betterment of all. I think we need more of that sort of cooperation today.

Best regards,

Rob

14. Gary Powell

Gary Powell Well-Known Member

I have a question regarding NAMBA rules and insurance. We have been looking for a pond to use in an area where all jurisdictions have ordinances against the use of air or BB guns, which prevents us from going into those communities. I notice that Maker Faire is in San Mateo County/City and they also have these same ordinances that don't allow the use of air guns. I was interested to know what ordinance change or amendment you were able to work out with San Mateo, so that you could run the ships and shoot their guns and the NAMBA insurance would still provide coverage?

15. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

What does local ordinances have to do with Namba Insurance? To add a pond to the insurance you just add the name and address to the form and send it in.... being ALLOWED to battle is a different story I would think.

In Rosenberg.. its the opposite.. we are allowed to have 'bb guns' in the nature park (no ordinance.. funny right) but BOATS are prohibited. They gave us an exemption for boats on approved battle days.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  16. Gary Powell

In reading through an earlier post from the NAMBA Combat representative, one of the things he indicated:

"This coverage is primary coverage, so you do not have to look first to your homeowner's policy for protection as is the case with some of the other boating organizations. In addition, it is individual insurance rather than site insurance, which protects you no matter where you are running your model boat, not just at pre-approved lakes and ponds, as with some of the other organizations. (Important note: You must comply with all local and state laws and restrictions. If you are running a boat on a lake on which you are trespassing you may not be covered.)

Greetings from the new NAMBA Combat Class Chair
    Discussion in 'General' started by Rob Wood, Apr 18, 2014.

As you indicated, you received an exemption to what was likely a "park ordinance" (probably not a law). What we are dealing with in the SF Bay area are actual laws that need to be superseded by some other legal action. A local Park Ranger or manager for a local Fairgrounds can't just say, "It's OK for you to play here today". So this isn't a trespass issue, but as our NAMBA representative said, you must comply with ALL local and state laws and restrictions or the insurance will not cover us. This is why I was inquiring about how they were able to get the Board of Supervisors or City Counsel to amend the ordinance against air guns, so that our NAMBA insurance would be valid.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
  17. NickMyers

I suspect it is a question of this NAMBA rule in the safety section:
    It would be good to know if NAMBA has no issue if we simply take the event to private property.

18. Gary Powell

To take it to private property would be similar to a jurisdiction that has a fireworks ordinance. The laws preclude the use of fireworks anywhere in that city/county, etc. and this would apply to air gun ordinances Anyway, finding private property in the SF area, with a pond large enough to use just isn't likely. We would really like to find a new pond in the Bay Area so we can hold our events between there and the Sacramento area and whatever legal changes WWCC was able to accomplish in San Mateo could be the solution to this problem in other cities.

19. Cid

Cid Member

I'm new so I will ask a dumb question: Isnt NAMBA insurance underwriten by travelers insurance, (though I read that somewhere) has anyone considered contacting travelers directly and see what type of policy they would write for the hobby. Maybe some of the rules and requirements of the insurance coverage are imposed by NAMBA and not by the insurance company. Other organizations have added their requirements to benefits they provide their members( like insurance). Its just a question????

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  20. NickMyers

I'm pretty sure that an insurance company wont pay out on a claim they deem to involve illegal activity by the claimant. That's the core of the problem really.

Union Scum likes this.