R/C Ship Combat in the Civil War

Discussion in 'General' started by FirePowerDan, Dec 17, 2008.

1. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

It was floating wasn't it. It fought did it not? Any vessel that was planned can be used. This does not just mean US and Confederate vessels. Remember the British might of intervened if slavery was not in there. I set up the British with the Confederates. In that case I feel that the French would want a piece of the British. They can go on the Union Side. This is all hypothetical of course. Just makes it interesting. The only rule of thumb. British & French vessels must be in commision during the time period of the Civil War 1861-1865 inclusive. Also the clubs have to agree to use this option.

2. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Remember too, that the book Uncle Tom's Cabin, having struck a chord with the british population, meant that the brits couldnt fight the union without offending the population.

3. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Neat. As if I need another great time sink.[:D]

4. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

If you ever saw the movie GETTYSBURG Tom Beringer makes that makes that remark to the British observer that England would never help the Confederate cause because of the slavery issue. If you want to read something there is a novel called 1862 if the British had helped the Confederates. The author is Robert Conroy Paper Back from Ballintine books New York.ISBN 0-345-48237-9. Great book. The British come into the war over the Confederates that were taken when a Union vessel stop a British vessel and took them. There is Naval Battles with the British an land battles. Interesting what if.

5. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

I am not going into all the historical data in the rule book. Guns are classified ;
    Smooth Bores Ball Bearing Used
    15 inch + 1/4 inch
    8-14 inch 7/32 inch
    24pder-7 inch 3/16 inch
    12pder-23pder BB

Rifled Guns Ball Bearing Used
    150pder+ 1/4 inch
    100pder-149pder7/32 inch
    60pder-99pder 3/16 inch
    30pder-59pder BB
    I was experimenting wit 5/16 ball bearis and doing away with 3/16 ammo.

6. Anachronus

I think I read that. Didn't it have a battle between HMS Warrior and the USS Roanoak (sp.) and the invasion of Ireland by US/CSA forces?

7. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

It was a while ago that I have read it. There was a big Naval battle around Philedelphia that the New Ironsides and the Warrior fought. The Union brought some Monitors down from New York and desguised them as garbage scows, Does that ring a bell.

8. Anachronus

That's it. I liked it but thought the ending a bit far fetched.

9. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

It is fiction. We could write a better ending I suppose. Loved it when that sniper misses Gen. Lee but ,killed his horse Traveler and it rolled over on the General. If you are from the North that was a very happy ending. Then the sniper gets shot up like James Cagney in Public Enemy movie. I AINT SO TUFF.

10. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Today I want to give you info on these vessels. Books.
    Osprey has a series of books in their Vanguard series.
    Union Monitor 1861-65 #45
    Confederate Ironclads 1861-65 #41
    Union River Ironclad 1861-65 #56
    Mississippi River Gunboats of the American Civil War 1861-65 #49
    Confederate Submarines and Torpedo Vessels 1861-65 #103

Civil War Navies 1855-1883 Paul H.Silverstone ISBN 1-55750-894-1
    The Old Steam Navy Frigates,Sloops,and,Gunboats 1815-1885 Donald L.Canney ISBN 0-87021-004-1
    There was also one by this person about the Monitors.Never got it.
    Warships and Naval Battles of the Civil War Tony Gibbons ISBN 0-8317-9301-5
    The Civil War Military Machine (weapons and tactics of the Union and Confederate forces Tony Gibbons ISBN 0-8317-1325-9

These are all great sources of statistical and color sceames of these vessels. I have found Floquel Railroad paint as the best paint that matches the colors of these vessels. Have fun.

11. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Odds and ends
    Prop sizes 50% larger than the plans show.
    Paddle Wheels 25% deeper? Not the gospel.
    Rudders 50% deeper if the club members all agree.
    Optional rule to guns Pressure setting. Very Heavy guns 100PSI Maximum,Heavy Guns 80 PSI Maximum,Medium Guns 65 PSI Maximum,and Light Guns 50PSI Maximum.
    I think you can guess for this rule. To try to have the lesser guns to give the effect of bouncing off the more armoured vessel
    I also experimented in making Plaster of Paris Forts. It has a neat effect when it is hit. Small white cloud appears and a chunk comes off. I do not know how thick to make it. Earth forts can be made this way also. Some sort of targetut down say a section of guns. shut off system might have to be part of a fort to sh

12. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I think the plaster of paris forts idea is good; when one gets shot up, cast a new one!

The various pressure level stuff might be more burdensome, though.

13. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

You know it would work for pop up batteries in regular R/c combat or any earth type battery.

14. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

The pressure stuff was an optional rule that could be used if all agree.That's how these rules were set up. Some you had to follow. Others were ideas if you wanted to implement.

15. Anachronus

Didn't care for that bit but it is fiction after all.

16. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

That is what I mean about a happy ending. My father hated Eddie Albert the actor. When he got killed in the Longest Day, well that made his day. He always said in Green Acres Arnold Ziffel, that pig was the brains of the show. Had to respect my father.

17. Anachronus

Well it was obvious that Arnold was the brains. How could anyone debate that! :)

18. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

I even think that Ava Gabor had more brains.

19. Anachronus

LOL! yes.

20. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Fred Ziffel had some brains because he interpited what the pig was saying.That must count for something.