Rceiver for a PT boat

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by Kotori87, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

For those of you looking to build a PT boat, I may have discovered a way to do it. Flyzone Planes makes a series of ultra-micro WWI planes. They include with each one a 2.4ghz "brick" receiver, which includes a couple of built-in servos and a built-in ESC. Unlike many other ultra-micro bricks, the Flyzone receiver board includes proper radial servos, instead of those flimsy linear contraptions. The ESC is for an airplane, so it is non-reversible. However, you can use that motor for a pager motor bilge pump and plug a reversible ESC into one of the two open servo slots.

Here's a couple pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I don't have one yet, but I am seriously considering getting one of their planes. If I wreck it, I'll salvage the board and hack the servos for use in my Santa Maria micro-galleon.

2. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

You can also by the RX/servo/esc combination separate from the plane from your local hobby store.

3. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

I think I looked into these at one point, as I am passively researching components for really small ships. Isn't there a fairly short range on these receivers, or am I thinking of something else I saw? All the information I come across starts to run together at some point if I don't find a way to organize it.

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I know for a fact that a convoy ship made from hard cider boxes and powered by a zip-zap motor and receiver/ESC doesn't have but 20-ish feet of range. But this rcvr is for aircraft, even if small, so I'd expect more range from it. What does one cost? Chase, where'd you find one separate?

5. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

not the same one, but its one I have in my parkzone ultra micro T-28 plane. http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMAR6410
    If you look up the parts listing for any plane in particular on say Tower Hobbies website ( or whatever site you prefer that sells smaller RC planes ) you can almost always get just the rx/esc combo by itself

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

After I posted, I found a rcvr/ESC/servo combo (actually several) for sale on HobbyKing. Intriguing, might go in the 1/96 Schnellboot. Which would be much further along had I not decided on a full rebuild for Lil Scharnie.