Recommended Battery Charger?

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by wdodge0912, Apr 21, 2019.

1. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

So I'm in the market for a new charger, and was looking for some recommendations. Right Now I have a super simple Onyx 245 dual charger.

I'm looking for something that is at least a dual charger, but would prefer a quad charger.

I have LiPos for my RC trucks I still have, AMD will be getting the 15AH LiFe cells for the HMAS Australia.

I would like something that does have a storage mode for the Lipos, as I dont have that right now on my charger. I've always just fully charged and then ran the truck for about 10 minutes and it's most of the time around where storage needs to be. But actually having a storage mode would be nice to have.

I dont have too many other requirements, just want to upgrade to something with more features than I have now. The cheaper the better though.

2. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I use a Hitec x2 AC plus. They make an x4 as well. The big thing to check with the multi chargers is, if theyre an AC charger, what the max power rating is. Most AC chargers built in power supplies cant power both channels to the rated max. For example my charger is rated to 10a per channel but the internal power supply can only actually supply 5a per channel.

If you get a DC only charger and a separate power supply, you can get around this issue.

3. wdodge0912

I might have a power supply that was my dad's back in the day, but I'm not concerned so much about that, as long as I can charge batteries lol. I just want features that my current doesnt have, namely lipo storage mode.

At most I'll be charging 4 of the 2 cell LiFe 15ah round cells. For Lipos I just need to charge 2 at a time.

I suppose if I can figure out the wattage needed to charge the 4 Life cells, I could hook 2 up as a 4s and charge it that way if I get a decent dual charger that can provide the power needed. I've seen it at the track, but never thought about it. not sure how safe this, but would balance all the cells together.

4. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

You could also just buy a bunch of the B6 style Chargers that are relatively popular instead of one more expensive combined unit.

5. wdodge0912

I've seen that too. I guess I need to check the power supply.

But does the B6 have the features my current features lack?

6. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Check it out for yourself, and yes I do believe it has the features you want. This is the "Original" charger, there are also "Copy" chargers that are made in china but are half the price.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/imax-b6-50w-5a-charger-discharger-1-6-cells-genuine.html