Recovery robot

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by JustinScott, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I would make a pincer to grab the nose of the boats, since most boats have a relatively thin and sharp prow it would be easier to device a grabber that can fit the nose than the rest of the hull. Also, the impenetrable bow is very strong so it can withstand pressure applied by a grabber better than the rest of the hull. After grabbing the bow, the ROV would lift up and let the wreck hang down vertically (this would not work in shallow water, but, then again, it isn't really necessary in shallow water).

I dislike the float idea because I see floats fail at least 40% of the time, if not more. I wouldn't mind if they worked +90%.

2. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

there's an idea. Id also like to see this thing foul-proof. Examples: It cant be hurt by possible miss-firing of a 1/4" broadside, a torpedo attack or mines, so we must keep that it mind. Less restricive in an ircwcc/mwc vessel.

3. misguided1

misguided1 Member

I know this is an old thread, but I just got interested in the idea after reading everyones posts. What if a locator float is also an antenna, and there are deflated floats inside the hull, attached to the air tank, that inflate and pop out a section of the hull (that piece is attached by a line so you don't have to make a new one, and is held onto the hull by magnets.) Enough of them can lift a boat from the bottom, and then a floating and sickable drydock can move in, back up to the ship and then refloat, lifting the ship out of the water and brought back to the shore?

4. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Think "Hughes Glomar Explorer"

Anvil_x likes this.
  5. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Remember the KISS principle:
    Here's the recovery system:
    [​IMG]

6. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I have 5 recovery systems depending on the water depth...

Isaac - Shallow water recovery
    Sydnee - Only for beached ship recovery
    Joshua - Mid Depth Recovery
    Noah - Mid Depth Recovery But may cost $$
    Jeff Lipp - Deep water Recovery But will cost Beer!

7. Jean Valjean

Jean Valjean Active Member

Sounds like quite a system!

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Darren, in Region 3, we actually have a man who was the for-real captain of the Glomar Explorer until last year...

9. ish311

ish311 Active Member

well back to necro old posts but i don't want to make a new one for the same idea.
    why not just make something with alot of high intensity led lights that floats with either shore power or onboard to help with KISS recovery?
    in not so simple recovery make something with twice the displacement of a Yamato that dissasembles in three sections, pontoons and recovery arm. make the recovery arm submersible with several cameras and some sort of either hook or clampish thing. shore power for the whole setup as any weight you put on the recovery boat might make it not able to perform recovery of such large ships.

simple not fully thought-out idea right now and i might go back and refine it after I finish my boats and do a few recoveries on my own boats.