Reporting in on PEI/Ultem

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by NickMyers, May 19, 2016.

1. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I bought an Ultem/PEI sheet months ago to try out. It is supposed to be zee vunder-bed, to which things love to stick, but gracefully pop off of.

Because I'm cheap and lazy, I didn't buy the suggested high temp adhesive tape for it, instead figuring I could get away with using a spray of Super77 across the glass. Super77 is rated to fail (shear) around 60-70C. Hrm, that could be a problem, but worth trying anyways.
    Yeah, not worth trying. *** ABS prints still warped, but instead of popping free of the PEI, they were warping the PEI itself, shearing the glue bond readily.
    Successive reheatings of the PEI bonded to the glass with the Super77 rapidly revealed the truth - not only would Super77 not work for this job, it was failing at lower and lower temperatures as it was continually cycled.
    Fast forward a few months, when I've gotten tired of printing on slurries and kapton again.
    Ordered the right adhesive. Re-adhered the PEI. heated it up and then let it cool with a stack of books on top to make sure everything was stuck well and flat.

That was two weeks ago, I've been printing incessantly since then, and its been working great - as long as I remember to wipe the PEI down with isopropyl alcohol periodically. I've been printing ABS jobs at 95C (glass/kapton I needed 105-110) with good adhesion. Parts that on Kapton and slurry were moderate risks to warp up and detach are holding well, parts that were a higher risk are now more of a moderate risk. No signs of adhesive failure.

Your zero and bed level definitely matter, too low and it can be a real bear to get a print off, much worse than on kapton or slurry.

The best part? No more tearing or ripping of kapton tape on the bed. No more laying down fresh kapton and swearing at it trying to get all the little bubbles and ripples out. No more weird divots in my prints, no more strange colors on my prints because of the slurry. Just nice smooth prints.

Products I got:
    0.03inch 12x12 PEI sheet

3m adhesive transfer tape - 12x12 squares, 6 pack

*** This is not intended to be a knock on Super77 - it is a great product, and I was attempting to use it for something it was not designed to do and I was fairly certain would not work out.

rcengr, rcaircraftnut and SteveT44 like this.