Resin question

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Powder Monkey, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Okay I need to get more resin and hardener so I broke down and purchased West system. I Hate it mixed a small batch put it on my ship wouldn’t set up cleaned it all off what a dam mess! mixed a big batch let it set for 1.5 hours and it finally caught on fire well not really but lets say I wanted to put on a box I had smoke showing, it was kind of cool. so I chalked it up to human error How I don’t know as I got the pump system and went 1 for 1 but hey I’ll take one for the team . Went about re applying a new batch and the dam stuff still isn’t dry going on 2 hours now should have stuck with bondo brand set in like 15 min dried in like 3 hours hard as rock. okay so here are the answers to all the questions I know you are wanting to ask it is 1 gal 105 resin 1 quart 205 hardener from west marina as I stated before I used the pump system and yes the correct ones are in the hardener my work shop is in a finished basement and was 71* now it is 69* since I’m not in there any more I'm hot blooded and it is very dry. one thing I did notice the bondo is stinky as hell but there is hardly any smell to the west and definitely not the kind of smell I would expect from a chemical but hey don’t know if that is normal. so tell me what is wrongggggggggg![V]

2. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

According to the west website it says 205 takes 6-8 hours to cure to a solid state. I normally let it sit overnight. Sounds like you are expecting it to cure to quickly.

3. Powder Monkey

It is still as wet as when I put it on[:(!]

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Are you using the correct pumps?

The kit comes with several tubes and stuff, the guy in the store warned me and showed me the right ones to use.

Also, I use small batches when using West. With the Fast hardener, I get like 15 minutes working time, not nearly 5min like they claim.

5. Powder Monkey

LOL yes checked them rechecked them measured them and than checked them again the 1 5/8 for 205 pump per instructions yes I actually read them this time just don’t tell my wife

6. Powder Monkey

I’m going on like 3 hours just as wet as I started does yours have that fiberglass stink to it or odorless like mine

7. SnipeHunter

Naw it doesn't really stink, it has an odor but nothing like other epoxies.

8. Powder Monkey

Every frickin tool and light switch as well as my mouse and key board is sticky AHHHHHHHH

9. Powder Monkey

Not only does this stuff not harden it wont come off [:0] this is like a bad dream the more I clean the worse it gets [:(]

10. EricMA

EricMA Member

Great Is this the stuff I went halfs with? Might want to call them tomorrow and see what went wrong. I have had bad lots of resin before but it is rare. I don't understand why everything in the room is sticky. I have never heard of fumes being sticky.

11. Powder Monkey

LOL yes it is partner [:D] I wanted to see what every one was talking about and well lets say I didn’t every thing I touch is sticky I wash my hands with acetone and they stay sticky [:eek:)]

12. Powder Monkey

already sent them an email and put there # on my speed dial[:(!]

13. SnipeHunter

hehe buy some gloves next time [;)]

14. EricMA

EricMA Member

Ya I always use gloves. You can by rubber gloves in the paint department at Home depot. I have a bunch I'll bring them on Sat.

15. Powder Monkey

I had some on than got frustrated

16. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

One suggestion for small batches... mix by weight if the information is available. That has always worked out better than by volume. When I started doing that with small batches, I never had a bad mix after that. A scale is available at wall mart for ~20$.

17. EricMA

EricMA Member

I used to use an old postal scale I had worked real good until I spilt resin all over it. never worked right after that.

18. EricMA

EricMA Member

I ordered some shell shockT fast to make the pieces for the super structure. I wonder if it could also be used on the hull. It is just as strong if not stronger as the stuff you bought powder. I use it when I cast. When cured, it is harder and more rigid at Shore 85D. stuff is great for making props, rudders, and turrets.

19. Powder Monkey

cool you can teach me how to cast

20. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I had my mom pick up an extra digital scale at weight watchers... does grams or that other archaic system :)

For West, I just use the pumps. For other stuff (urethanes) I use the scale, with a piece of wax paper over it.