Resin question

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Powder Monkey, Apr 1, 2008.

1. EricMA

EricMA Member

Sure I'll teach you. I can be fun. can get expensive when your teaching yourself. I wonder if you can buy one of those weight watchers scales. I have one I bought from wal-mart.

2. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Okay here we are 12 hours later well it has dried some what a finish shinier than my old gym teachers bald head I mean gym flood one problem only looks dry touched it and left a finder print and now my dam finger is sticky again how can it still be tacky after 12 hours work shop is down to 68* [:(]

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Are you POSITIVE that you mixed 1:1? Doing multiple shots can lead to problems (like when I miscount when I do recipes calling for lots of cups of flour)

4. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

I have to ask, do you know what the humidity is in the basement? Do you run a dehumidifier in there? Even with the temperature sufficiently high, when the humidity is also on the high side in the work environment, I've had issues with slow cure times on West Systems epoxy to the point of having to set up dehumidifiers the day before beginning work.

5. Powder Monkey

It is a finished insulated basement not sure of exact but it feels dry but that was a thought I had as well. So I dusted off and started running my old dehumidifier last night around 01:00 hardly any water in it now at all so my guess is my humidity is not too bad.
    I’m beginning to think I got a bad batch did I mention they call me lucky at work[:(]

6. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

Yep, by the sound of it, you had just the luck to get part of a defective batch of hardener.

7. Powder Monkey

can you beleive i just went on there web to get there 1800 tech number and the srever is down LOL[xx(]

8. Powder Monkey

its back[B)]

9. Powder Monkey

West is thinking the wrong hardener got packeged sending it back for testing from store they will give me two new cans

10. EricMA

EricMA Member

Did they tell you what would work best to clean up the mess that it made?

11. Powder Monkey

a small bomb off to get the new stuff

12. Powder Monkey

okay Drum roll DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD Got new resin and new Hardener mixed it up coated deck 2 hours later I'm holding it and I'm not sticky, well at least not any stickier than I was before I picked it up [:p] point being it’s cured and well I'm still sticky.

13. Tugboat

Schweet! Glad to hear it's going well now.

14. Powder Monkey

It dries nicely [:)] now however the overhang fiberglass isn’t really hard it is very flexible which doesn’t seam right to me with the bondo it is always hard as a rock what gives [:(]

15. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Might still be flexible as it is not fully cured. Give us an update tonight.

16. Powder Monkey

It’s been 8hours and 51 minute but who’s counting [;)]

17. Tugboat

Show us a pic... If it's one layer of 'glass, then it'll still be pretty flexible if there's nothing to back it up.

18. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

That is true. Is it cloth or mat? Did the Aoba as a male plug. Coated the outside with aluminum foil, spayed on 3M adhesive, layed on the cloth and resin. Waited 24 hours, pulled it off the plug, and removed the foil. It was still very flexible at this point. Then layed in two layers of mat and resin. Strong after 24 hours. Lots of sanding and epoxy after that.

19. Powder Monkey

There is nothing it is cloth I guess I'm just used to the Bondo brand man that glass is like iron after it dries[V]

20. EricMA

EricMA Member

I think a second coat or layer will stiffen it up.