Resurrecting the Andrea Doria

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by ZARUBA1987, Jul 26, 2018.

1. ZARUBA1987

ZARUBA1987 Well-Known Member

Kevin,

what’s your take on the stringer?

2. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

I do believe in this case Brandon is correct, The use of the term "dictates" in this instance is a transitive verb, Ie: to require or determine necessarily. example given: injuries dictated the choice of players or The weather will dictate how long we stay.(Merrium-Webster)
    There does not appear in any picture i can find a hull feature that would dictate the need for a stringer the full length of the hull. You may not need to worry about it for local battles but likely it would be challenged at Nats. Its easy enough to remove when you recut your windows when you are done refiberglassing the hull. good luck and keep up the great work.

3. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

I agree that the hull shape does not dictate the need for a stringer.

4. ZARUBA1987

I should have mothballed her to the shelf. At the end of the day the stringer will not make her a super ship. I’m no English scholar so I really thought I interpreted the rules correctly. This ship has a ton a freeboard . Anyways there are far more superior ships. All STOP in the ship yard

5. Kevin P.

I don’t think a stringer changes the boat much one way or another, a legal stringer stops a very small % of shots, mainly can help prevent blow outs (which can be mitigated by resheeting more often). Compared to most popular axis boats she has a lot more above target area, but not when compared to most allied boats. If you are dying from stern guns, then the concern is valid. Seems like it could be battled effectively in reverse with dual sterns 15 degrees off and 75rd haymaker. Trying to use bow sidemount won’t be a winning strategy if the opponent still has ammo. The boat’s internals look great, so it doesn’t seem like it needs much work to stay competitive. I’ve taken way more damage in Kongo because it only has sidemounts and I know it can take more damage than other ships, but at battle weight she doesn’t show much above target area. You could build a Seydlitz and end up with the same battling style for a lot more work (stern first, dual 15 and haymaker). What battling style do you want?

6. ZARUBA1987

The Doria is definitely battled in reverse. At the turkey shoot I ran her all day Saturday with duel sterns and 75 haymaker. It wasn’t till Sunday that I put the bow 25round side mount into play. She actually took most her damage mid ship. I like putting my self in the thick of the battle. Hug and slug or back the sterns in and unload

7. ZARUBA1987

Close as it is to the brouhaha. Likely hood of having another ship ready to go is a stretch. Although I need to choose another ship that suits my style

8. Kevin P.

Just brainstorming - For the stationary battle style you might want to go with a smaller ship with two stern sidemounts - something like a Baden, Konig, or Courbet since speed doesn't really matter most of the time for that style. 4.5 unit boats are good since you get 125 sidemount rounds and don't waste units on extra bow guns/pumps. Getting a boat with 3 or 4 shafts would help in drag/thrust. If you want to stay 26 sec then AD doesn't seem far off from what you want, maybe change the gun layout to two stern sidemounts. Could also do a Moltke if you can find one. Anything faster will be longer than AD with more target area for belows. Going below the Courbet size gives a different gun layout and only 100 sidemount rounds - Nassau's are great in furball type battles, also VDT

9. ZARUBA1987

I really like the Nassau’s any leads on hull manufactur?

10. Kevin P.

11. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Tim also has some other DN hulls which could suit your purposes. there's that one goofy Florida boat he's got that's got a fair number of stringers, two aft sidemounts, and a stern gun to boot due to the goofball turret configs the USN did between the SoCaks and the STBs

12. Kevin P.

The Florida mold by Ralph is very nice, but that would be a nightmare to sheet and would take ram damage if you looked at it funny

13. ZARUBA1987

That’s true about the florida bu bulges are sexy kinda like your monitor.. Nassauto being a 4 unit boat. But at 40” and casements could be a killer little ship with side mounts

14. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

The 28sec ships are too slow you’re always chasing the fight unless the other team want to sink you. A 26sec ship is as slow as you should go

15. Kevin P.

I respectfully disagree with Bob on this one. The style of battle prevalent at Brouhaha and Nats is a lot of stationary battling - fleets lined up stern to stern, all clustered together, slowly migrating as one side advances. The 28 second speed doesn't matter for most of the battle. It can matter at the end either trying to chase someone down or being chased, but Nassau has the best turning in the hobby so being chased isn't much of a concern. It's true that 28 sec boats are useless chasing a faster boat, but that's a small negative in my opinion. If your boat is really good then you have more issues at 28 seconds since fewer people want to play, but not a large concern for most battlers

In the northeast the battle style involves a lot more movement, more like passes than sitting side to side continuously, so speed is more of a factor - but a lot of guys run 28 second boats, so it works out. Fighting Nassau's sucks when you're in an allied billboard - Carl's runs mostly submerged, so you have to shoot through water just to hit a casement. If you're looking for something to get in the thick of things, it's a good boat. I was gifted a hull that I'll have to build out in the next few years

Justin Ragucci and Panzer like this.
  16. ZARUBA1987

Yea I’ve always liked the VDT. But to me the Nassau’s A symmetry is sexy. Even at 28s I think it with the other features low free board, casements, short length 40”will be a great boat for my battle style.

17. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

We do have one available

18. ZARUBA1987

258970F3-C479-4552-A862-53A22E76D290.jpeg 80625051-2CCB-4DDC-95AC-D78E215B1B57.jpeg Just need the water line then she’s ready for the brouhaha

Kevin P. and Fridge like this.
  19. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

what's the story on the middle gun of your triple?

20. ZARUBA1987

MEATBALLTRIO! It’s got options

jadfer likes this.