REVIEW: Sunhokey Improved Prusa i3 3D printer

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by Tugboat, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

Mr. Tugboat .... other then general tweaking to settings for prints ... how is the unit doing for you? I'm trying really hard to get one ordered for my birthday this month (again while I await my kickstarter one LOL )

2. Radioman

Radioman Active Member

Hope you get better soon, Tugboat. How long does it take to preheat the nozzle temp to 230. This thing is taking for ever, it's at 111 deg. and it's been a half hour.

3. Radioman

Radioman Active Member

Fixed my own problem again. I need to open my eyes a bit more and make sure all connections are in the correct place. Pays to look at the photo of the connections.

NickMyers likes this.
  4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Be careful! Sometimes the wrong connection can kill the electronics! There's a jpg in the main menu of the DVD that is just the electronics with arrows and labels for what plugs where.

5. Radioman

Radioman Active Member

After the last problem I made sure all connections were correct.
    Will be testing tomorrow.

6. Radioman

Radioman Active Member

Can anyone tell me where to put the heat sinks. I looked through the files and didn't see were they go. Did the videos even show the placement?:(

7. Tugboat

The go on the stepper motor driver chips. VERY IMPORTANT! I will send you a pic when I get home tonight. Do NOT run the printer!

8. Radioman

Radioman Active Member

Thanks Tugboat, I'll wait for the picture.

9. Tugboat

One of my motor drivers got hot enough during an extended print to trip the overtemperature shutdown (and so, the extruder motor stopped running). This is good, because it protected the electronics. But bad because it hinders printing big objects. My solution was to rig an old PC power supply fan to blow on the electronics. No problems with heat now :) I will print an enclosure to hold the fan and make it look pretty :) I'll post the file when I get it done.

10. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

+1 for active cooling. The only way to go.

11. Tugboat

I'm having some issues with prints lifting, so at Nick's suggestion, I've stolen the glass print surface from my defunct Ormerod2 to see if that helps. Ish had some helpful suggestions about printbed temperature profile programming that I will try after I see if the glass helps. I will post after testing.

12. Radioman

Radioman Active Member

Have the printer running. Printed a file from the CD. Still have work to do to get things leveled. The price did lift off the plate on one side. I am using PLA that came with the printer. Will try ABS next.

13. Tugboat

It's good to go with PLA at first to get a feel for things. Leveling the bed is very very important :)

14. Radioman

Radioman Active Member

Mr. Tugboat I have the table level now. There sure is a lot more to lean than just making a drawing and print. Been playing with the settings and learning the program. Learning any help sure would be appreciated.

15. Tugboat

As you say, there's a lot to learn. Can you narrow down what you want help with?

16. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

theres some good stuff on youtube of what people have had to fix/upgrade .... I just ordered a similar unit from Ebay (would have rathered the unit Tugboat showed, but had issues with order method and the only deliver company option) ...

even then no 2 printers from the same place even seem to be the same so... tweak and tinker! ... I should have mine in a couple weeks (right before my Bday :D ) I imagine I'll get it printing the way I want about the time the x3d one from kickstarter ships/arrives in a few months LOL

17. Tugboat

A lot of the videos on Youtube are of the older model, if you look at what they're complaining about/commenting on, you can see if it matches the current model.

18. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

yeah even going through you tube theres so many different variants of the "same" printer . I ordered an "upgraded" Prusa I3 ... proper lead screws ... I liked the fan config it came with .. and it lists with a heated bed with glass. appeared to have better slide bearing thing configuration.. but I'm betting a bowden drive change and a proper E3d hot end will be on my list of comming soon for it.

mind you my choices are based on limited knowledge and just scouring for information the past few months ... I'll probably be bugging you as much as you can stand fairly soon Tugboat :D

Tugboat likes this.
  19. Radioman

Radioman Active Member

I think I may finally have the bed level and the z axis adjusted properly. Now if I can get the piece to print in the center of the bed would be nice. I centered it before using the sliceing feature for the g codeing. When it goes to print the bed travels cto the far right back corner and starts there. I figure it out soon or latter. Much to learn.

20. Tugboat

the slicer should be autocentering anything you print.