REVIEW: Sunhokey Improved Prusa i3 3D printer

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by Tugboat, Dec 20, 2015.

1. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Post the first chunk of your gcode and we can probably tell you something useful if you havent sorted it yet

2. Radioman

Radioman Active Member

Mr. Tugboat, when setting up the slicer program what is the best setting to use for filling in the object.

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

You mean for infill? I like the linear one for fast prints. Honeycomb for stuff that has to be strong. Most of my combat superstructure is honeycomb, 40% infill. Keep in mind that even the linear infill is pretty strong at 40%.

4. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Why not make it empty and foam it with polyurithane foam. Then it would float when knocked off.

5. Radioman

Radioman Active Member

Thanks for the info.

6. NickMyers

I tend to print with 20-25% infill.

7. NickMyers

Generally you print with infill so you can bridge the top layers without problem.
    For some larger things you could fill them, sure. Smaller things like turret covers don't really have much void space between the perimeters and it doesn't much matter what your infill % is as you won't have much space to fill with infill or foam.

But for most things I look at it like this: If a thingamijiggy gets shot enough to get knocked off its probably fairly damaged.. and I can just print a new thingamajiggy, then I will have nice new undamaged thingamijiggys.

8. Tugboat

Like Nick said, no infill generally causes issues with the top looking like crap, especially when it's a broad area to cross. Printing over open air (no support) is called bridging, and most printers can do a cm or two between solid objects without a lot of drama. But. The tops of SS pieces are not so pretty when this is attempted :)

For my Invincible superstructure pieces, I am printing just the sidewalls of the structure, then printing a top piece with all the details, splinter shields, etc, that gets welded onto the wall piece, which could be filled with foam if desired.

thegeek likes this.
  9. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

I print my superstructure upside down. So the top is printed first on the print bed and then the walls, with the bottom left open.

Beaver likes this.
  10. Tugboat

I did that for a couple of sections of the QE superstructure, but for Invincible, I wanted the splinter shields and supports for the boat rack, etc to be printed on top, so I did it walls and top piece like you did with the Russian predread turrets. I had to print the boat rack separately, but that's easy enough.

11. Radioman

Radioman Active Member

How about some pictures? What material are you using, heat settings and infill percentage? I have tried to print the motor mounts using PLA but not having much luck. Very brittle and not solid enough to use. Learning .

12. NickMyers

Pla tends to be brittle. I print most everything in ABS at 240c,
    105-110c bed temp.
    20-25% infill,
    3 perimeters typically,
    5 layers top and bottom

If i dont like how a part turns out i'll adjust my settings towards ones I believe will address whatever problem I have.

Have you made calibration prints and such?

Its hard to offer advice without seeing any of the problems you have, if you post some pics and the settings youve used in the prints that youre having trouble with we can probably offer more specific thoughts.

13. Radioman

Radioman Active Member

Did some reading and downloaded the latest Slic3r program. Starting to understand what everyone is saying. Will be doing some testing in the next few days and will let you know how it goes.

Tugboat likes this.
  14. Radioman

Radioman Active Member

I switched to ABS and printed a motor mount. You can see that the ends are up not sure if the table needs more adjustments or what. P1020513.JPG P1020520.JPG

15. NickMyers

Abs will warp as the upper layers cool. Your results are typical. You can combat it by enclosing the printer, also dont pop warm parts off, let everything cool in the bed -helps a small amount.

16. Tugboat

In slicer there is a setting called 'Brim'. It adds a one-layer thick brim around the bottom of your objects which helps it to stay firmly on the printbed. Start with 5mm of Brim and if necessary for large prints go to 10mm. For simple stuff like the motor mount, 5mm should be plenty.

17. NickMyers

18. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

19. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

20. NickMyers

the acetone + abs puck? You need some good ventilation at least, unless you like the smell of acetone while you're doing this. And the nice shiny bottom of your prints gets whatever color your puck was stuck to it. And it doesn't work 100% either - your first layer will stick, but its no guarantee against the power of the upper layers cooling.